Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro and bench build

Intro and bench build

I'm new to the creek, and to hand tool woodworking, so I figured I'd use my first post to introduce myself and post pictures and video of my newly built bench.
    A little about me:
    I recently moved to Texas, I'm originally form Georgia, got married, and am now starting to settle down, a little. My first love in life is the outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping, etc., however where i currently live, in the middle of the DFW metroplex, hinders me from doing most of things I like to do. So i took up hand tool woodworking! Where i live i have a 10X10 ft shed that i have now converted into a woodshop. Not having much space, i've forgone trying to fit any power tools, besides a cordless drill, into the shop. My father in law has a fully stocked wood shop about an hour away that i can use whenever i need to dimension a lot of boards, but i mostly do it myself with what i have, which isnt much, yet. I've borrowed a few planes and bought a few chisels and marking tools. every month i get about $100 to put toward this hobby, so my collection of tools will slowly grow.

The first thing i built was what every hand tool shops needs, a bench. I built the bench-top out of 2x10s ripped in half and the legs and base are made of 2x6s . It measures 72 inches long, 22 in wide, ~4 inches thick, and ~35 inches high. I didnt really have a plan when i made it, but i had watched youtubers build similar style ones. I was able to build the whole thing in one weekend. The legs are mortised into the base and the top is held in place by 1.5 inch dowels in the tops of the legs. I made it so that id be able to easily disassemble it when i move. I eventually plan on adding a wagon vise as well. I plan on using this bench for a couple years till we move somewhere with more room. By then i'll have more skills, time, and money to make an even better bench.
    Below is a poor quality video of me and my wife flattening the top (this was both of ours first time using a plane), pics of the bench fully assembled, and me and the bench in my shop with my newly built mallet. We started flattening the bench with a 5&1/2 and finished it with a #7 and BLO. Enjoy

unnamed.jpgIMG_16783.jpg20170529_161733.jpg

Blog Entries
    Howdy Jared and welcome to the creek.

That is a nice looking bench. Great to have a wife who will take turns pushing the plane around with you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Welcome Jared. Glad to have you with us!

That's a very nice bench!

Fred

Great looking bench and a very good start. It is a good sign that your wife was involved as well. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept has some very good state parks for camping and hiking that you can take advantage of later this fall when it cools off.
    David

Welcome to the world of handtool woodworking, and to Texas!

That bench is a very nice start...

Andy

Nice bench! Allthough I would cut of those feet sticking out of the front. Looks like a trip hazard.

And I would love to have my wife joining in some planing too! Not going to happen any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    The Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept has some very good state parks for camping and hiking that you can take advantage of later this fall when it cools off.
    Yes there are lots of parks, but i think the key words are "when it cools off". Camping when its 95 degrees out isnt very pleasant. My problem with north Texas is the shortage of tall trees to block the wind. I sure do miss the hardwoods and tall pines of Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Nice bench! Allthough I would cut of those feet sticking out of the front. Looks like a trip hazard.

And I would love to have my wife joining in some planing too! Not going to happen any time soon.
    Yes! I'm lucky to have a supportive wife! As far as the feet go, I'm planning on rounding them off so they aren't as square. I haven't had any problems with them yet though. I'm also planning on adding a row of square dog holes to the front of the bench when i purchase my wagon wise. That'll extend the top out another 3 inches to be a little more even with the feet.

Thanks for all the kind words! I look forward to learning from y'all.

Impressive first post.... and nice bench.... welcome to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Hendrix View Post
    .... I sure do miss the hardwoods and tall pines of Georgia. ...
    Ziggy on over to E. Texas for a Saturday, aka "Life behind the Pine Curtain". And best BBQ on the planet is in Tyler (on the way).

Welcome & nice bench too!

Jared, Sweet setup! Clearly a fast study. Can't wait to see how the saw bench and tool storage turn out. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    It is a good sign that your wife was involved as well.
    I was gonna say something about the person standing there watching you do all the work. But then she started planing.

Welcome - nice bench. I love the Ft. Worth area - my middle son lives there.
    My hunting, camping, hiking and outdoor interests have taken a back seat to my woodworking for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Blair View Post
    My hunting, camping, hiking and outdoor interests have taken a back seat to my woodworking for awhile now.
    For me I started woodworking so i could come home from work and spend an hour making something on a weeknight. Its nice to be able to unwind after work and actually feel like you accomplished something for yourself vs just workin for the man everyday.
    I still spend plenty of time outdoors on the weekends though.

Very nice! I like the design.
    I'm building my first bench as well, and filming the progress.
    Welcome to SMC!

Nice job on the bench. That should serve you well. Also nice to have your wife take part.

Enjoy.