Thread: Big Ash Desk

Big Ash Desk

I'm fairly new to woodworking and thought I'd share some photos of a recent project (completed about 3 months ago). I call it The Big Ash Desk... It is designed to be a computer desk. My better half commissioned it with the design stipulation that the desktop computer be completely hidden when not in use. The CPU sits on a sliding shelf in the front cabinet. The back of the desk is a double
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Very nice. How does your computer get ventilation?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That really looks nice, Scott! Is the monitor raised/lowered manually or do you have a mechanism?

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Sorry... some of the description got cut off... The back panel consists of two pieces with a 6" space between. In that space is where the monitor lives when not in use. It's attached to an electric motorized lift which is activated by a toggle switch hidden inside the front cabinet. When the monitor lifts up it raises the flap in the desk top; the flap lowers by gravity when the monitor goes down. There is room in the drawer for the wireless keyboard and mouse. The finish is shellac sanding sealer x 2 coats, clear grain filler, and several coats of glossy water based polyurethane. The CPU sits inside the cabinet on a sliding shelf and the cabinet has holes in the bottom and in the back for ventilation - we've no issues with overheating (as far as I know).

Scott B

Nice design. Innovative on the monitor.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Very nice! I love ash!

That's a really nice desk, Scott. ..Nice panels. There's a lot of work there.