Thread: Japanese saw users

Japanese saw users

When cutting pine and most other woods, my ryoba has a real gravelly feel when cutting at a 45º but when verticle or horizontal it feels smooth. Is this a sign of a dull blade? This is a gyokucho disposable that probably doesn't have 20 feet total on each edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bent View Post
    When cutting pine and most other woods, my ryoba has a real gravelly feel when cutting at a 45º but when verticle or horizontal it feels smooth. Is this a sign of a dull blade? This is a gyokucho disposable that probably doesn't have 20 feet total on each edge.
    Do you mean 45 deg w.r.t. to the grain as opposed to pure rip or crosscut? Or something else?

Blog Entries
    Paul, my Japanese saws are not used as much as in the past, but the feeling you describe was part of using them for cross cutting. Mostly now my Japanese saws are used for trimming dowels and other light cuts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pat -Pure rip and crosscut. 45º to plane of work surface. Gyokucho #605 Using it on some cedar and it really stood out.

Jim - Makes sense that it would feel like a western saw in the reverse. Never really thought of it. Just hated the feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bent View Post
    Pat -Pure rip and crosscut. 45º to plane of work surface. Gyokucho #605 Using it on some cedar and it really stood out.
    Is it only gravelly at the start of the cut, or does it persist?

At the start of a 45 deg cut you'll have asymmetric engagement (teeth on one side cutting while the others aren't), so that's always going to be less smooth than cutting straight down. Once the saw is into the work it "can't tell the angle" - any difference you feel at that point has to be down to your own technique.

Blog Entries
    Tilt the stock toward you, rather than away from you.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I prefer the first dovetail saw I used a long time ago, when they first came out.

That is a Lie Nielsen. I also have the larger Lie Nielsen saws.

That seemed to do the trick. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Tilt the stock toward you, rather than away from you.

For any of my smaller hand saws - a old dovetail saw with a more recent Wentzloff blade and a Gyokucho small ryoba - I start at a very shallow angle until the kerf is deep enough to guide the saw. Then I angle it much higher and can go very fast.
    Both saws, although they are rip-filed, also excel at cross cutting, and I just them often for that.
    Higher angled sawing starts are - in my opinion - much harder with a Japanese rip saw because the teeth angle is much more 'hook-shaped'. Once you have the kerf, however, you can go quite fast.

Alfred