Thread: What finish should I use on a End Grain cutting board

What finish should I use on a End Grain cutting board

I've built a few and now I need to get some finish for them. What do you prefer?
    Thanks, Two T's Woodshop

I use mineral oil but this topic has been discussed many times here and elswhere. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/.../t-194243.html

I use Howards butcher block conditioner. It's ingredients include mineral oil, carnauba wax and bees wax. I put several coats on letting it soak in between coats.

I use Claphams. I get it from Lee Valley. http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...190,42950&ap=1

It sounds like it is very similar to the Howards that Daryl uses.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    True, a search here will reveal many discussion of this topic. I have boards that have been in service for years. Initial treatment was mineral oil from Wal-Mart (about 12 cents an ounce) or you can use something special (about $5 an ounce).

I have a "cute" little write up on 'the care and feeding of you new cutting board' that recommends that the board be wiped with mineral oil whenever it starts to get a dry appearance.

Just had dinner at a SIL's house who is prodigious in her use of but, less than stellar in her care of, her board given for Christmas some years ago. Its still doing great.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was just wondering what other's used. I used all of what i had now I need more. I been think of trying something different than General Finishes salad bowl finish.

I melt 1 part bees wax in 4 parts mineral oil. Apply liberally, let soak for a while, wipe off excess. Repeat when piece no longer beads water. This is the only finish use on food contact items.