Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lie-Nielsen making the bronze 4 1/2 again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    It's not quite stainless steel but how about high nickel iron:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,41182,48942
    This is one high-end plane that I will likely one day spring for solely because it just looks so awesome. Yes- hate me for saying that- I do. I hate that I would ever buy a tool because it looks cool, but this one is the exception. It should win an award for functional design. I would buy it out of appreciation for the design... But mark my words- It wouldn't just sit on the shelf. I would use it. The less expensive iron version is a sweet plane. It fits the hand perfectly. Every time I get a bonus, I buy something frivolous or some expensive tool I always wanted. This is on the short list, but with this bonus I am getting a Rikon bandsaw that I badly need. Sorry, I kill a few electrons now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    This is one high-end plane that I will likely one day spring for solely because it just looks so awesome. Yes- hate me for saying that- I do. I hate that I would ever buy a tool because it looks cool, but this one is the exception. It should win an award for functional design. I would buy it out of appreciation for the design... But mark my words- It wouldn't just sit on the shelf. I would use it. The less expensive iron version is a sweet plane. It fits the hand perfectly. Every time I get a bonus, I buy something frivolous or some expensive tool I always wanted. This is on the short list, but with this bonus I am getting a Rikon bandsaw that I badly need. Sorry, I kill a few electrons now and then.
    I actually think that the DX60 and NX60 are pretty reasonable given their likely manufacturing cost. Those are very finely machined and smooth-operating planes, that handle like a dream. They're not enough to get me to upgrade from my old-style Veritas block planes, but at the same time I think that most of the added cost contributes to usability in one way or another (the big exception being the overkill-for-a-block-plane finish and flatness specs).

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    This is one high-end plane that I will likely one day spring for solely because it just looks so awesome. Yes- hate me for saying that- I do. I hate that I would ever buy a tool because it looks cool, but this one is the exception.
    I can't be the hater on that. The one problem with the plane is it looks like the Indy racer of planes. If I can't push it at 190 mph or better then I shouldn't bother with it! My arms get tired just looking at it.

The inner geek in me just finds the Bridge City plane just so out there I would like to have one of those too. Can't imagine using it but if I had a man cave with an unlimited decorating budget- both planes would likely show up. But there's no cave no budget. Guess I'll stick to my Miller Falls #16.

-Tom