Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The End of Yeti Knockoffs?

I agree with you. The king was RTIC and they got smashed by Yeti, so I think the wave is over.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    What about Costco's Member's Mark version...?

Personally, I'm not so sure this wasn't a marketing ploy conjured up by a bunch of recent college grads. Aside from different logos (inserts are POC to make), all of these cups are virtually identical, and I'd bet a buck they were all made in the same building in China. Think about it-- who's getting sued for damags? No one! "Change the cup"... reeeeallly?? Anyone else would have sued their pants off. But wait, if a group of buddies own all these companies, it's basically suing yourself, not much fun or profit in that (taxes on the windfall would cost more than the taxes saved by the losses on the other end)...

So lets see, Yeti comes out, and it's a hit because they work. After a year or so, suddenly half price Yeti's with a different name start popping up like whack-a-moles. It wouldn't surprise me if sales of the clones outpaced the originals by 5 to 1 or so. Clone sales start to slow, alert the media to the fact a lawsuit may be looming... Everyone stocks up, the market is saturated, let the lawsuits begin...

and the owners are probably sipping champagne on a 100 meter yacht off the coast of Dubai as I type this.... And it all perfectly fits the New Millennial's business model: Make millions as fast as you can. And regardless of who owns what, millions were definitely made...

Conspiracy theory, absolutely And I have a psychic prediction: Within 1 year, Yeti will be sold to someone else...
    Not sure that it's a full conspiracy as my understanding of RTIC's very existence is tied to a personal relationship (friends, family, something) between YETI and RTIC owners, management, something.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    You may be partially right John, but I don't think that's the full issue here. "...Yeti claimed that it owns trade dress rights, referring to the visual appearance of a product and its packaging..." That is beyond just a simple shape/design of the mugs. The only thing I would think is happening is they have hired the slickest lawyers money can buy and have bamboozled & bullied these companies into submission.
    K, I totally agree with the bamboozle. I think Rtic agreed to change thinking it would take a couple of months and it's been 3. Now I think Rtic business model as a bit flawed and a lot of folks that were buying got upset with them not really wholesaling them and posting discount prices on line. So they may be hurting a bit. But I look at JDS now offering many colors along with Walmart. Market is getting saturated. Just how many do you need?
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I personally don't care what it says on the side of the mug. Function wise they are all the same (except for that stupid top on Yeti can coolies). I only sell a few on request, mostly the Ozark. What-ever brand a customer brings me pays the same.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

The Coca-Cola bottle shape is the common example of Trade Dress (trademark) infringement. If you remove the markings, the knock-off products would look identical to the Yeti, which is the problem.

Matt
    Excellent example.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

A quick google of chinese yeti cup takes you to a selection of vendors that sell knockoffs from China. On DHGate, you can buy a 20 ounce with Yeti labels and at least identical looking to the yeti cup for $8.34 US on quantities of 50+(even has the raised YETI on the stainless). Free shipping to the US. Estimated arrival time, less than a week.

And there is not just one vendor - many very highly rated.

Think they can stop that?
    Trotec Speedy 300 80 Watt w/ Rotary
    Trotec Job Control Software
    Graphtec CE500-60 24 inch Vinyl cutter
    3 - Tajima TFMX-C1501 Single Head Embroidery Machines
    Tajima Pulse software Version 14 Illustrator Extreme
    Corel X4 & X7 Suite
    Howard Model 45Hot Stamping Machine
    Assorted Heat presses/Cap presses

Blog Entries
    And that is their problem. I've seen advertised on a guys webpage yetis (marked yeti!) Engraved for $25. You can't buy the yeti for that! Chinese knockoffs "Wish" Is the other big Chinese site, kind of an eBay. Way humteen many distributors on there selling Yetis!!! Can't fight an octopus!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

We don't normally supply the cups for anyone. That's why I believe it's going to slow this market down. Consumers aren't going to order cases from China and bring them to us, and I'm not going to carry Chinese cups with the Yeti name on them, so I suspect this market will fade out unless RTIC and Ozark come out with new designs that appear to be improvements over the Yeti design.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    We don't normally supply the cups for anyone. That's why I believe it's going to slow this market down. Consumers aren't going to order cases from China and bring them to us, and I'm not going to carry Chinese cups with the Yeti name on them, so I suspect this market will fade out unless RTIC and Ozark come out with new designs that appear to be improvements over the Yeti design.
    Consumers, no, but businesses might- I've always got some form of beverage cup in this house to engrave (just finished 40 Hydroflasks last night), but not once has 'the public' brought me a cup to engrave. Last year an online acquaintance who runs some business shipped me dozens of Ozarks, to be used as biz gifts. The Hydroflasks come from a lady who runs a yoga/wellness spa, I put her logo on, she sells them to her customers at the rate of about 1 per day. A few of my local customers also use the knockoffs (but never the Yeti's) as biz giveaways. Those who like the Yeti style may jump at the chance at getting even cheaper knockoffs...?

I've been getting a few of these"SIC" cups lately, the look very much like Yeti's, but the size and shape are noticeably different. Someone was thinking ahead DSC06148 (Custom).JPG
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have chosen not to stock and sell the insulated cups as they are so readily available at prices similar to my costs. I do mostly commercial work and most of my customers are popping for the Yeti brand.

I turn down onesie business on these as even my $25 minimum is not worth converting my machine. Unlike what I am reading, I see this as another banner year for insulated cups.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Most, if not all, U.S. marketplaces (e.g., Ebay, Etsy, Amazon, etc.) will comply with IP infringement takedown notices pretty quickly, because of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. If they don't, they can be held liable. It's tougher for items on Chinese marketplaces, like DHGate and AliExpress, but leverage is put on them by U.S. payment processors and internet service providers, if they want access to American businesses and consumers. They have DMCA protocols too, but it's time consuming and costly. Probably not an issue for Yeti, since they filed on Wal-Mart.

The Yeti is really about brand recognition and status, which will fade when the next cool thing (sorry!) catches the attention of consumers.

>>I've seen advertised on a guys webpage yetis (marked yeti!) Engraved for $25. You can't buy the yeti for that!.... Way humteen many distributors on there selling Yetis!!! Can't fight an octopus!<<

So true. "But I see Yeti's on Esty for $19.99 with monograms included." I feel like I am wasting my breath if I even try to point out fake Yetis, applied graphics versus laser etching, actual final shipping charges, the extra charge you can expect when you ask Etsy guy to do a logo versus a standardized monogram, the benefit of proofs plus fast delivery when buying local, etc., etc. They are fixated on that $19.99.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Corkcicles keep rolling too

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Unlike what I am reading, I see this as another banner year for insulated cups.
    I thought Corkcicles would slow down too Mike but they keep on rolling.
    Trotec Speedy 300 80 Watt w/ Rotary
    Trotec Job Control Software
    Graphtec CE500-60 24 inch Vinyl cutter
    3 - Tajima TFMX-C1501 Single Head Embroidery Machines
    Tajima Pulse software Version 14 Illustrator Extreme
    Corel X4 & X7 Suite
    Howard Model 45Hot Stamping Machine
    Assorted Heat presses/Cap presses