Thread: Harbor Freight Plane Saves My Millers Falls

Harbor Freight Plane Saves My Millers Falls

I have a Millers Falls hand plane, somewhat the equivalent of a Stanley #5. It was the first "vintage" plane I ever owned. I used it for 2 or 3 years before I got my #5C from my Dad.
    It was one of Millers Falls' Economy line, with the plastic handles. Those handles are why I retired it. They are in the forefront of the pic below, and the grooves and ridges in them did a number on my hands. Very uncomfortable, and could never get them to tighten down.
    I recently read a post here about the HF plane, and it was suggested that the handle and tote, even though the plane was not very good, might make a good replacement for a Stanley plane's handle and tote. I thought, "15 bucks? Might as well try it on the Millers Falls".
    I think it turned out great. I had to do a little widening of a hole in the underside of the tote to get it to fit over the little nub in the MF plane body, but it tightened down solid, and will not move.
    I tried to put the old knob back on the front of the HF plane body, just to see, and it would not fit. I think that the bolt is just a bit too fat for the hole. But both handle and tote tightened down solid on my Millers Falls, and will not budge, even with the use of considerable force. So I think I will be just fine.
    Be nice to use this plane again. I plan to convert it to a scrub plane, which I certainly could have used flattening the top of the work bench I'm building.
    IMO, for $15, it is worth it just for replacement handles, and who knows, I might just make a woodie with the iron later on.

100_3610.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 07-12-2017 at 2:48 PM.

Smart move!

Now,take the left over BODY of the Harbor Freight plane,gut it,and make an infill out of it like Derek Cohen did. It was rosewood stuffed,no adjusters,and a cool plane. And,get rid of th SPOKE SHAVE blade of the HF and use a regular LONG blade. And,I don't mean one of those ugly,square topped irons either.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Now,take the left over BODY of the Harbor Freight plane,gut it,and make an infill out of it like Derek Cohen did. It was rosewood stuffed,no adjusters,and a cool plane. And,get rid of th SPOKE SHAVE blade of the HF and use a regular LONG blade. And,I don't mean one of those ugly,square topped irons either.
    Is there a link to this plane? It sounds like a great idea. If he had to do any milling, etc., it won't be possible for me. Hand tools only; no access to anything but a hand drill or angle grinder.
    But it sounds like a plan. I hate throwing anything away. :P

Blog Entries
    Send a private message to Derek. I am sure he will respond.

Great idea! I have been searching since I posted that last post.

Just go to Derek's website (inthewoodshop dot com) and look in the shop made tools category for "A galoot's infill smoother".

Those plastic handles look horrible. It's another example of manufacturers not doing any real product testing before releasing the item to the market. $15 seems like a bargain. Buying wood handles would probably cost about double that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K. Johnson View Post
    Those plastic handles look horrible. It's another example of manufacturers not doing any real product testing before releasing the item to the market. $15 seems like a bargain. Buying wood handles would probably cost about double that.
    Yep, I think you are right. They aren't the most beautiful, but they are a sight better than what was on it.
    Alan, thanks. I emailed Derek and he was more than helpful.

Y