Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hammer K3 Winner won't power up....looking for help.

New Hammer K3 Winner won't power up....looking for help.

I connected a 240V plug to the saw motor wire and plugged it into a hot recepticle....nothing happened. The blade guard is in place and locked, the emergency stop button is in the ready position. Felder provided zero electrical troubleshooting documentation. I called tech support, they were very busy and would try to call tomorrow.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? Maybe I've overlooked a safety switch or reset button somewhere on the saw?
    Last edited by scott vroom; 07-12-2017 at 5:22 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Are you pressing and holding the start button in for a few seconds when you do that? Not just "pressing once", if you get my meaning?

Erik

Scott, any buzzing sound coming from the machine when the start is pressed would indicate that one of the safety micro-switches is open (although on a K3 I'm guessing there is only one)

There is a safety switch on the guard you open to access the blade. The machine will not turn on if this is not in the middle. I had to call about that. My machine is older, but I am assuming they are still the same.

The safety guard switch is a right royal pain to get in exactly the correct position on a K3. I have played with mine a few times and it is now easier to locate the middle position but I believe every single one is the same.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Are you sure the stop button is in the correct position? This tripped me up when I tried to start my A3-31 the 1st time. That and holding the start button for a few seconds. Good luck.

Chris and Brad nailed it. Tech support returned my call and the guy new immediately what the problem was: Page 24 of the user's manual says that for the saw to operate the safety guard knob "must be pushed all the way up". That's inaccurate...the knob must be in the middle position. But it doesn't say that. Tech support guy say he gets a lot of calls on that. Unless you're looking for a middle position it's easily overlooked, particularly when the instruction is to push it all the way up. Felder probably printed thousands of user guides and aren't going to correct the misprint until the next revision. Hopefully someone else will read this thread and avoid all the cussin' and head scratchin'.

Thanks to all for offering help
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

If they had the owner's manual online it would be easy to update/correct. I would expect better from a company selling machines in that price range.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If they had the owner's manual online it would be easy to update/correct. I would expect better from a company selling machines in that price range.

John
    Amen. And not only that, but people who are interested in the machine would probably like to read the manual to see how everything works before making a purchase decision.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Do you have your blades yet? I ordered 3 from Carbide Processors. A 12" rip blade, a 10" plywood blade, 80 tooth, and a solid wood blade, also 80 tooth. Best blades I have ever had, Tenryu brand. Asked if they had a dado drilled for the Felder Hammer, they tried to sell me one with a 5/8" arbor.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

John
    You would think. The manual for my C3-31 has a whole page they forgot to translate from German. Pretty sloppy thing to overlook...

Felder threw in an upgraded silent power silver universal rip blade...it's PDN. I've got several Forrest and Ridge blades that I'm going to send in for 30mm boring. I'll look at the Carbide Processors as well....thanks for the input.
    Scott Vroom

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    You would think. The manual for my C3-31 has a whole page they forgot to translate from German. Pretty sloppy thing to overlook...
    The sales rep told me that the high end Felder & Format machines get the majority the factory's attention, as well they should. I suspect they view Hammer as a lower margin commodity and support it accordingly. I've been disappointed at the sketchy support from sales and the Delaware shipping location....a number of miscues and mistakes, lost time. The sales rep has never used a table saw, let along a euro. But all that will be soon forgotten if the tool is as impressive as advertised.
    Scott Vroom

Glad you got it running.

The reason for the extra position on the interlock is that on the B3's, down unlocks the saw cover, middle locks the saw cover and shaper access door and up unlocks the shaper door.

So yes, middle position is locked and don't forget to hold the start button until the machine is up to speed (There's no centrifugal switch in the motor)..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    The sales rep told me that the high end Felder & Format machines get the majority the factory's attention, as well they should. I suspect they view Hammer as a lower margin commodity and support it accordingly. I've been disappointed at the sketchy support from sales and the Delaware shipping location....a number of miscues and mistakes, lost time. The sales rep has never used a table saw, let along a euro. But all that will be soon forgotten if the tool is as impressive as advertised.
    I guess business is good when you can conciously ignore a portion of your customers. In the long run that usually self corrects.