Thread: Minimax MM16 Questions..

Minimax MM16 Questions..

Right now I am researching bandsaws and have a few questions on the MM16.

Does this really need a 30 amp circuit? Many of the equivalent bandsaws seem to need only a 20 amp circuit. I am having my shop wired next week and need to know what size circuit to install for the bandsaw. I prefer to stay at 20 amps.

How far does the table tilt ? The website states this: Worktable tilting (no CE) 0° ÷ 20° (45°). I assume the CE is an option?

What are the smallest blades that will fit? I thought I ran across an optional guide that would allow 1/8" blades.

Does Minimax still offer end of year sales? I am in no rush to purchase this and if this saw is expected to go on sale later I am happy to wait.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, it needs a 30A circuit. Table tilts to 45 degrees on the outboard side and -10% or so on the inboard side. Regarding blades, you theoretically could go down to a 1/8" blade on that machine (or any of the flat-tired Euro bandsaws, for that matter) but I'll tell you that 1/4" is the smallest I would go for usability reasons. If you truly need a bandsaw with a 1/8" blade, then I'd get a little 14-incher and keep it set up just for that. If you want to use a blade <1/2" on the MM16, the guide you want is the Carter Stabilizer, model JET-1 (17mm guidepost).

Regarding sale pricing, where are you located? In the US or abroad?

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Yes, it needs a 30A circuit. Table tilts to 45 degrees on the outboard side and -10% or so on the inboard side. Regarding blades, you theoretically could go down to a 1/8" blade on that machine (or any of the flat-tired Euro bandsaws, for that matter) but I'll tell you that 1/4" is the smallest I would go for usability reasons. If you truly need a bandsaw with a 1/8" blade, then I'd get a little 14-incher and keep it set up just for that. If you want to use a blade <1/2" on the MM16, the guide you want is the Carter Stabilizer, model JET-1 (17mm guidepost).

Regarding sale pricing, where are you located? In the US or abroad?

Erik
    Thanks for the information. I am in the US (Arizona)

The motor amperage draw is above 20 amps; hence, the 30 amp circuit requirement. If I'm not mistaken, that's a ~4.5hp motor on the current generation of MM16.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why not pull the larger wire anyway. Should be minimal cost difference
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Bass View Post
    Thanks for the information. I am in the US (Arizona)
    Email Sam Blasco: sblasco-at-scmgroup-dot-com

AWFS is right around the corner and Italy traditionally does something as far as promo pricing on the bandsaws. Sam is the only guy you want to deal with on a Minimax bandsaw, regardless of pricing. Avoid the Ebay dealers and online stores at any cost.

Erik