Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it really necessary to tape the pvc joints of your DC plumbing?

Is it really necessary to tape the pvc joints of your DC plumbing?

Provided you aren't rich and can't afford plumbing such as NordFab, do you tape the joints in your PVC pipe? I'm about to buy the Clearview 1800 DC, and most of the youtube videos I see portraying PVC plumbing show the joints being taped. Seems like they are a pretty good fit to boot though.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

I taped mine but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. The only advantage I see is that any vibration would not cause the joint to come apart a bit and let air leak.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I taped mine but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. The only advantage I see is that any vibration would not cause the joint to come apart a bit and let air leak.

Mike
    Makes sense. Well, I do have tape. Guess I'll use it.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Remember that duct tape is pretty much the worst possible thing to use to tape a duct. Any other type of tape is better according to government tests.
    Bill

Foil HVAC tape is the product to use regardless of the duct material (PVC or metal) and yes, I recommend you tape the joints.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used mushroom head self tap screws to lock the joint together and then foil HVAC tape (3M) to make sure nothing leaked

I used Gorilla brand white duct tape on my 6" DWV pipe. It is strong, and really sticks well. I can guarantee that it does not leak.

Blog Entries
    I taped some of the joints on my system where there were long runs prone to sagging or where there were tendencies for movement. I used foil tape. Duct tape dries out rather quickly and fails.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I screwed all the joints. If they are seated down well there is virtually no air loss, but I taped them anyway.

I probably should have used foil tape but I used duct tape. My system works fine.

I used short sheet metal screws to join pipes to elbows and Y-branches. During assembly I ran a bead of silicone caulk around the perimeter before sliding the joints together. Has worked well for a lot of years.

I think the following article is a well researched experiment showing duct tape does not work. The group did come up with a method that works well to pump an aerosol into the ducts it solidifies as it leaks out any bad joints sealing them permanently.
    Bill

http://www2.lbl.gov/Science-Articles...tape-HVAC.html

Silicone caulk. Easy to remove, later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Silicone caulk. Easy to remove, later.
    I like this idea if you feel the need to seal the ducts. Mine are completely unsealed. Most of them stay in place by being routed around the perimeter of the room. You can only dismantle the pipes from one end. A few places with hanging pipes have sheet metal screws to hold them in place.

Steve

If you read the article about duct tape not working, you will find it is not applicable to dust collectors. The heat and or cold air from an HVAC system will cause duct tape to fail. For a dust collector where the air is room temp, the duct tape works fine. Mine has been on the DWV pipe for a year now and is still sticking fine with no leaks.

Blog Entries
    No tape here and it passes the smoke test. If you have the tape I see no reason not to use it. Goodness knows I throw an extra clamp on here and there during glue-ups simply because I have them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler