Thread: Cremation urn

Cremation urn

Has anyone been asked to turn an urn to hold someone's ashes after cremation? I've had such a request and I'm wondering about specific requirements. I believe the urn will be buried in a cemetery. I assume it will need to be put into some sort of burial vault which would be specified by federal law for burial in the national military cemetery. I'm not sure how large to make it, if there are any types of wood that are best, any particular design requirements. The potential occupant is already deceased so I can't wait months for a rough turned urn to season then be returned. I already have a large number of rough turned deep bowls and pots which are seasoned and ready for turning so I was wondering if I might re-turn one and make a lid for it. I don't know where I would find a piece of dry wood that could be turned directly into a lidded urn. The largest pieces of dry wood I have are 4" square and that sounds too small, but I really don't know.
    Thanks.

All good questions.
    First, the size. You will need at least 1 cubic inch for every pound of body weight before cremation.
    For instance, if someone weighed 225 lbs, the inside dimensions could be 7" x 7" x 5", or 245 cubic inches.

The ashes will come from the crematory in a heavy, sealed plastic bag (add another 1/2" each direction for the bag).
    There are often vault requirements for burial. I don't see any such requirements for Indiana, but check the laws where the burial will take place.
    You can find vaults by googling "Cremation Urn Vault". The product descriptions will show inside dimensions (maximum dimensions of the outside of your urn). If it is required by the state or the cemetery, ask to see their simplest plain one. It is only there to keep out dirt and water. I see simple ones for $100 and much higher rip-off prices. Make sure it is actually required.

I think that you have a good idea re-turning a dry vessel and adding a lid. Just do one that "looks right" to you and has the right dimensions.
    The bottom line is that it has to feel right for the brief time that it is out of the ground. Ashes do not need additional protection, even though they have a bag and possibly a vault. What looks and feels like it honors the person?

Woodworker Sam Maloof requested to be buried in a plain pine box. His assistants wanted to make one that had his characteristic wooden hinges and lock. So they compromised and made it plain pine on the inside and fancy on the outside.

I have just made a couple of urns, but I am a pastor and have some experience with procedures. Thank you for doing this.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 07-12-2017 at 9:54 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have very limited experience with urns but will try to help. The attached photo is of one I did for the widow of a physician who wanted a religious themed urn. It was made from maple and the urn itself is about 8" wide by about 10" high. It was turned green and with the pith left in the center. I added a plug in the top and some CA glue on the pith on the bottom and that prevented warping. It was amazing how fast it dried. It was completed before I knew it would be used as an urn. Wasn't sure it would be large enough but searched the net and found a site that gives the square inches needed for the weight of the deceased.

IMG_0969(3) Burial Urn.jpg
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Agree with Brian and I will add that sometimes the family won't bury all the ashes in one place. You might ask.

Each cemetery has their own rules. I'm the sextant at our church cemetery and we don't require a vault for cremains. It's always a challenge for our grave digger to know how big the urn is as there doesn't seem to be a standard size or shape. We ask the family or the funeral home for the dimensions.

This is from the requirements for Arlington National Cemetery:
    Question: Is there a special container required for interment or internment or a cremated remains?

Answer: No. The heavy plastic container provided by most crematories is acceptable for ground burial or for internment in the Columbarium. Urns being placed in the Columbarium should be of a size that will fit into the dimensions of 11" wide, 14" high, and 19" deep. .

I'd check with the cemetery that the urn will be buried in for their specific regulations.

Quite a humbling experience, I've made a couple for some friends.

The calculation of a cubic inch for every pound of body weight is often used, but not totally accurate. All soft tissue is cremated leaving only the skeletal remains. There will be little difference in the amount of cremains from a 6' tall, 400 lb person and a 6' tall, 200 lb person. Either is going to be close to 200 cu in.

Also, volume calculations must take into account the form. One can't use a standard calculation for a cylinder if the form is a vase form. Having said that, most of the time a classic vase form urn that is 7" wide and 10" tall will provide sufficient space assuming the vessel walls are not overly thick.

Left click my name for homepage link.

When I researched this, I found that the industry uses a "standard" plastic box which is about 200 cu inch. Crematories usually just fill the bag and put it these. There are state laws, NC used to require that the urn be buried in a hermetically sealed vault (the funeral industry had strong representation in the legislature as most members were investors.) I do not know if this is still the case. Here are two I have made - They have wood burning (not shown) with the names and dates.
    Flame_Urn.jpgScooby_Urn1.jpg
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have made a couple of urns for myself and my oldest sister, to keep portions of my Dad's ashes. I've since learned that the lids for professional use should be screw on and later sealed for security reasons (accidental spills). I have an urn started for my own ashes, but I am waiting to learn how to cut the threads precisely, to comply with the laws. My sister's husband weighed over 400 lbs at time of death, and his ashes were 8 lbs. My sister was surprised at the small bag the ashes were delivered in, and she asked the crematorium director where the rest of the ashes were. His answer was, " How much did her husband weigh at birth?" She asked her mother-in-law, and to her disbelief, he was born 8 lbs. He left with what he came in with.

BTW: My avatar is my Dad's urn - box of box elder for the elder. Angle wing figure in the wood. Miss you Dad.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Thanks everyone, this is the sort of info I need. At this point it's unclear where he will be buried due to the circumstances of his death. I'm told the national military cemetery will not accept those who die under some circumstances. It sounds like an urn may not actually be required but one was requested by the next of kin. Urns and coffins are of course, not for the dead but for the living. So even if the cemetery doesn't require it, I think family would appreciate it if I made one. I hope to get more info soon. I've heard that Pentacryl can be used to keep green turned wood from cracking, anyone know if it might work? If not Pentacryl then I'll turn a dry rough-turned bowl and make a lid from dry wood. I should have something that will come out to at least 200 cu in.

I went through this a while back. I was told that for every 10lbs equals 1 cup of rice(250LBS 25 cups of rice). Mine measures 13" high not including the lid. The widest point is 27" in circumference(8.6" in diameter). the bottom ring is 16" in circumference (5.09" in diameter) 1/4 wall thickness.The bottom base is a solid piece.I couldn't come up with 25 cups of rice so coming from the Saskatchewan parries I used wheat. Not sure if it is the same as rice but it has to be close. The lid is done with ABS fittings
    I hope this helps
    Al
    urn.JPG
    Last edited by allan kuntz; 07-13-2017 at 9:25 PM.

I do a lot of urns and have done two for a military cemtery--they accepted epoxied on lids with no screw threads. In fact I have never sold a threaded lid??

Our church has installed a columbarium, urns from the manufacturer are 5.5x5.5x7 or 212 cu. in. The manufacturer assures me that this volume will hold cremains of the vast majority of folks. Cremation equipment has improved to lower the amount of space the cremains take up. This manufacturer has installed columbariums all over the US and have yet to have a complaint that the cremains would not fit in the provided urn.