Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chainsaw in shop

chainsaw in shop

looking for comments on using either corded or battery operated inside for cutting logs----tks.joe

If you are inside I would go for a corded chainsaw. I use a Worx( around $100) powerful little guy. The new battery powered saws are great,but more $$$.

I have the Makita corded and it does an excellent job inside the garage and the shop. Make sure to use heavy duty extension cords.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

What is a good battery operated chainsaw? I recently bought a gas chainsaw and kinda wished I had gone with a battery one. For the in shop application, I would really want to use the battery version as the cords always seem to get in the way, tangled up, trip hazard, etc in my shop with my clumsy feet.

I have a Husqvarna corded chainsaw that is very good. My father had a Stihl corded saw that he used to cut his firewood with when he was older and not comfortable with a gas powered one. He cut at least 5 logging truck loads of pine and birch to heat his house in a 10 year period before it quit. Both companies make cordless chainsaws who's batteries fit other garden tools like hedge trimmers, string trimmers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joe zarnitz View Post
    looking for comments on using either corded or battery operated inside for cutting logs----tks.joe
    Joe, I've had a couple of corded electric chain saws and have used some others. The one I use now is a Stihl and it works extremely well. It cuts so well I often use it just outside the shop too instead of firing up the gas powered saws. (easy to start , quiet, and safer with instant off)

I personally would not want a battery operated chainsaw for inside use since AC power is available. Not only will the AC motor provide more power but I do not want to deal with having to maintain the batteries and possibly have to shell out a small fortune to replace batteries five years from now. A cordless saw might be nice for remote use but a gas powered saw will be better for almost every outdoor use I can imagine, except perhaps for vandalizing things in the middle of the night.

The Stihl is not cheap but I have not yet regretted buying good tools.

JKJ

Joe, I went through a Craftsman and two Harbor Freight corded saws before I finally bought a Stihl. I would have been money ahead to buy the Stihl right away. My wife has a Stihl battery operated string trimmer that's fantastic. I see the battery operated Stihl uses the same batteries. I did get an Easy To Start Stihl gas saw but if my shoulders get any worse I may take a long look at the battery operated Stihl.

Joe,

I had makita lxt batteries, so I bought a makita lxt x2 14" (Uses 2 batteries for 36v and 10a/hour battery). Makita bought dolmer a couple of years ago, and they have heavy input on the design. Dolmer was a german company, similar in quality to stihl.

I also have stihl (big electric) and makita 14" corded saws that are my first choices when I have power. The Stihl is a horse and the makita is agile and pretty strong (not as strong as the Stihl though).

The 14" cordless is great to keep in the vehicle for wood "finds". The 14" cordless is about the same power as a good 50cc chainsaw.

Good luck,
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 07-13-2017 at 4:09 PM.

The corded Poulan Pro has done a lot of work for me and was a terrific bargain. I would not consider a battery powered saw.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I recently bought an EGO battery powered chainsaw. I have tried it out a few times and it cuts every bit as well as my Makita corded. The Makita enabled me to trim up bowl blanks in my garage and on the side of my house with greatly reduced noise and now the EGO is even quieter and eliminated the cord. I'm about ready to sell my Makita - through Home Depot I get a 90 day return window on the EGO.

Should mention this chainsaw is part of EGO's 56V Power+ series of tools (interchangeable batteries). This chainsaw uses a brushless 1200W 6800RPM motor. Much higher chain speed than many corded/battery operated saws.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 07-13-2017 at 5:27 PM.

I bought a couple of small and cheaper electric chainsaws some 20 years ago, and each one gave up in short order, in October of 2001 I bought the biggest made in the US 16” Poulan Pro chainsaw.

Poulan Pro 16%22 electric.jpg

I have given that saw a workout, as cutting large pieces where I would have to cut from both sides are not exceptional, I also have a larger Stihl gas chainsaw, but don’t use it in the shop, as I don’t run well on 2 stroke fumes , so electric it is.

The main thing with these saws is to keep the chain sharp and they will cut well, especially with the narrow chains as they do not require the power like the wider chains need.

As I would rough turn all the pieces that came from a whole log, the saw would get used a lot in a short time, just roughing would get large amounts of shavings, even when walking and standing on them it became a thick layer, but I tried to rough all before cleaning the shavings if I could, saw on shavings in this picture.

saw on shavings.jpg

Two pictures to better show how deep the shavings are, the cutting block I used next to my legs and in the next one how much of that block is still showing

cutting block height.jpg Shavings dept.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 07-13-2017 at 3:13 PM.
    Have fun and take care

I bought a Ryobi 19V chain saw because it used the same batteries as my drill. It is very pathetic. The chain speed is way too low. It is basically just a toy. I also have a low-end 120 vac chainsaw that I use inside. It does a very decent job. In fact, I often use it outside also.

I'll echo the 18" Worx, it works awesome. I can't speak for other saws though I'm sure the higher end ones are great. I too would stick to corded for the shop and gas for the field.
    USMC '97-'01

My 14" Mikita corded chainsaw is a little dynamo... I keep the chain sharp and the oil level filled up and I feel like it will last forever.

If going corded, use proper (ie minimum 12/3) gauge extension cord. They pull a lot of juice!

I've had electric ( corded ) chain saws for several years as well as gas saws. My present one stared out as a 14" saw and I added an 18" bar and chain. I routinely cut pecan, elm, oak, hickory and whatever else comes my way. The saw does well and doesn't bother my neighbors with the noise. It is important to keep the chain sharp and not force the saw , just let it cut at a slower pace. I haven't used a battry saw thus far, but I can see the value in having one in the trunk of the car though.