Thread: Metalworkers - What is this Japanese man doing to this brass for cabinet

Metalworkers - What is this Japanese man doing to this brass for cabinet

At approx. the 14 minute mark this man bends some brass and then looks like he adds metal for a wood cabinet? What is he doing and why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxtrGBR94qs

My best guess is that he is brazing the 90 degree bend to strengthen it. Killer Band/resaw machine!
    Rick

Looks like he used silver solder to either make the piece thicker or stronger. Not sure why, as I didn't watch the whole video.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bent View Post
    At approx. the 14 minute mark this man bends some brass and then looks like he adds metal for a wood cabinet? What is he doing and why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxtrGBR94qs
    I think he did 2 things: first, brazed the seam where he bent it at a 90 degree angle (there was a relief 'kerf' cut here, so presumably just for strength); second, he randomly brazed the surface of the ultimately exposed curved portion to give it a patina (assuming he was not repairing stress cracks resulting from the bending).

Door and drawer pulls. Giving a bit of texture to grip the pulls with.....

Looking at the final result at the end, it appears that the solder added to the surface was purely decorative. As Malcolm pointed out, the earlier solder in the 90º bend would have been for strength, but I know of know practical reason to to lay it on the surface as he does around the 14 minute mark.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I think he coated it with silver solder to protect the brass from turning a funky black color from hand oils.
    Im tripping out on the dog wearing a sweater and the drawers without Dts.
    Is there a Dovetail shortage in Japan right now?
    Aj

Perhaps he used all of his on the table he also posted. Loved both videos.....and learned a few things. And got a couple of ideas....could be scary? Still have 80% of that stash I brought back from VA. Might find some use for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I think he did 2 things: first, brazed the seam where he bent it at a 90 degree angle (there was a relief 'kerf' cut here, so presumably just for strength); second, he randomly brazed the surface of the ultimately exposed curved portion to give it a patina (assuming he was not repairing stress cracks resulting from the bending).
    +1. Very interesting video. Thanks for posting.

Got stuck watching many Ishitar videos. Thanks for posting this Paul.
    I find him relaxing and enjoyable to watch.
    I think Andrew may be right about the hand staining, and Malcom about the reinforcement of the corner joint.

It is mesmerizing to watch such a skilled craftsman work.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."