Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta DJ-20

Delta DJ-20

Hello, I am in the market for an 8" jointer. Having recently missed a Powermatic from the 1960's. I have come across a Delta DJ-20 which the owner informs me is approximately 17 years old. I have not seen it as of this time. The owner claims the machine is very lightly used and has sat idle in his garage for years. I will look at it this weekend. He claims it is like new. He is asking $1250., I am not sure yet if there is flexibility in the price. I would appreciate any advice on this particular machine. Thanks, Jack

Machine is fine. Price is way high.

Yeah, i agree with Cary. I think i paid $850-900 for the one i had for a brief stint. Even then that might have been on the high side. Unfortunately for all DJ-20 owners, the latest grizzly installments have depreciated the value considerably. Similar design, both made in taiwan, possibility of a helical/spiral head for not much more. The only complaint i had for the 6-8 months of owning a dj-20 is that it wasnt 12-16" wide.

Differences in value are determined somewhat by location, but $1250 is way too high. I wouldn't pay more than $900 for the Invicta era DJ-20 in excellent condition. Folks argue that the Invicta models have the best quality control among DJ-20.

You can get a Grizzly equivalent new (with straight knife cutter head) for around $1000, so keep that in mind when someone is asking over $1000 for a used 8" jointer.

I won't disagree that the price is high. While I don't think the DJ 20 had necessarily the best build it should have a good Marathon motor which at the time was US made and I'll take 17 year old cast iron over new. If you can see it, hear it, and measure how flat the tables are, you are way ahead of a sight unseen jointer. Guaranteed flat tables are worth an upcharge in my world. If the machine checks out, I'd no problem paying what a new Grizzley costs. Dave

David,
    Thanks for the advice. When I go to check the machine I will keep the information in mind. Jack

Phillip,
    I agree the price is somewhat high. When I visit to take a look I will determine how rigid the owner is on his asking price. Jack

Patrick and Cary,
    Will keep in mind when I look at the machine. Thanks for the advice. Jack

That's about what I paid a few years ago for an Invicta DJ-32 (12") jointer with a lifetime supply of Dispoz-a-Blades. If it's an Invicta Delta it'll probably be a good machine, but parts are unobtainable, and the price is at least 50% more than what I would pay.

There was thread a few weeks or so back with someone trying to source parts for a DJ-20 and found that the river is pretty dry in that area.

Dave,
    The jointer that I looked at was a Model # 37-350. It looked new and the owner estimated it had less than 20 hours of use. I am not familiar with the Invite line of Delta. Is this only available as a 12" width? I am a little reluctant if parts are unavailable. Thanks for the information.

Invicta is a name on some of the Delta jointers from a particular era (80s-90s?) that were made in Brazil. Not just limited to 12" or jointers. All types of Delta machinery can have the Invicta name on it. I don't have enough experience with different models to say with any authority, but some on the web talk of the Invicta era having an overall better quality control in the manufacturing process.

Not sure where you're located, but for what it's worth, there is a DJ-20 for sale on Craigslist here in western Virginia listed at $1200, advertised as used in a professional's home shop. So, the price may not be all that off. However, I do tend to be wary of machines that are claimed to be lightly used and sitting in idle garages for years. They tend to become tabletops for all sorts of things that shouldn't be sitting atop them. Checking the flatness of the tables is a must in such a situation. I'd much rather have a machine that has been used---and cared for--by a woodworker.

I have a DJ20 I paid $850 in very lightly used condition a few years ago. If it has a shelix head in it $1250 would be fair price...

Too high! Wasn't that a $1,200 machine new?

It's heavy and American but a new grizzly with 8" spiral is like $1400 shipped.