Thread: Sketchlist 3D Anyone using the software?

Sketchlist 3D Anyone using the software?

I am interested in this software and want to work in 2D to learn it before I buy. Am I correct that you cannot use 2D in the trial version? If I am incorrect how do I get into 2D?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've never heard of Sketchlist. What does it offer that Sketchup doesn't?

Matt, I've spent a bit of time reading the Sketchlist website and I can't find anything that Sketchlist offers that can't be done in SketchUp. From looking at the comparison checklist between their pro and shop versions, I see some limitations in the shop version that even SketchUp Make doesn't have.

George, why do you want to learn a 3D program by working in 2D? In any case, it appears from the screen shots that you can use any one of the multiple views in 2D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    George, why do you want to learn a 3D program by working in 2D? In any case, it appears from the screen shots that you can use any one of the multiple views in 2D.
    There is a youtube video that leads me to believe that Sketchlist is easier to to use than Sketchup and suggests that starting out in 2D makes it easier to grasp the program.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Have you tried Sketchup yet? It's very intuitive and there are tons of resources (YouTube), and we are lucky to have Dave R here who is a pro and an excellent teacher/resource.

I suggest you give Sketchup an honest try.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    There is a youtube video that leads me to believe that Sketchlist is easier to to use than Sketchup and suggests that starting out in 2D makes it easier to grasp the program.
    That seems counter-intuitive to me but maybe with Sketchlist it's true.

Thank you for the kind words, Matt.

I don't know about Sketchlist, but trying to learn how to use SketchUp by drawing in 2D isn't a good idea. You'll invest a lot of time learning how the program doesn't work.

Bob Lang

george-

i do autocad 2d for a living and 3d for play. first, 2d and 3d are not the same, nor does one lead into the other. when i was first learning 3d, i was told to FORGET everything i know about about 2d as they are not even close.
    with 2d, you have to look at everything as flat. there is a software called Draftsight, which is similar to autocad, for free, if thats what you want.

i will also say, if there is a technical college near you and you take a course in drafting, you can download autocads software for 3 years from the date of download, for free.

like someone asked, what are you trying to accomplish?

rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard b miller View Post
    i do autocad 2d for a living and 3d for play. first, 2d and 3d are not the same, nor does one lead into the other. when i was first learning 3d, i was told to FORGET everything i know about about 2d as they are not even close.
    This caught my eye.

I used Autocad for play and architectural design and the Autodesk/Discreet/Kinetix powerful 3D Studio Max software for a good living for a decade and a half, self taught on both. These are also nothing alike. However, I do think for someone who has never done any design/modeling on the computer learning a little 2D first might be a help.

I've never heard of Sketchlist until I noticed this thread. I looked it up just now and might give it a test drive. I've used Sketchup with an early version and recently.

An aside: I know this thread is about Sketchlist, but since Sketchup was mentioned earlier I have this personal opinion about Sketchup: it is pretty poor compared to my experience with professional 3D programs. Comparing the current version with early versions the core of the software appears to have stagnated years ago. I find the user interface poor, the modeling tools cumbersome, the workflow surprisingly inflexible, the rendering cartoonish, and basic animation function missing. The biggest thing Sketchup has going for it is the inference snaps - excellent in concept and (usually) functionality. Oh, and the cost of the free version! Buying the Pro version doesn't get you much value for your dollar, that is, for your hundreds of dollars. That said, the basic version will let you create almost anything you might need for testing out designs for wood working and for simple printed documentation. To be fair, the cost of the professional 3D software I used was many times that of Sketchup even decades ago, the last time I bought any. Darn, it seems you get what you pay for!!!

I know plenty of people use Sketchup effectively and this is in no way meant to detract from their work! - it is just my observation based on using both ends of the spectrum. Hopefully Sketchup will be enhanced some day.

This is a small sample of nuclear-related work with 3DS Max, one of my hundreds of technical projects, most extensively animated.
    I also used it for modeling for homicide trials and for OJ Simpson animations on CBS news.
    I had friends who used it in motion picture films, Star wars, Stuart Little 2, etc.
    3D_buildings.jpg

Some very quick documentation with Sketchup for woodturning.
    sharpE_jig_dim_small.jpg

JKJ