Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Box, to hold some candy

OK, I can't take it any more....... The title says that the box will hold candy...... Exactly how much candy do you have Steve?

Some years back, I took a class on making hand cut dovetails and the box was roughly 6" square (give or take, mostly give). Your box looks like a large stash that you might need for a bunch of kids around Halloween.

So, I assume that you mean something other than candy that you will eat; or do you really have that much candy?

Box is looking good so far.

Candy for kids at Sunday School.....box is 6" wide, by 12" long.....final sizes TBD...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Candy for kids at Sunday School.....box is 6" wide, by 12" long.....final sizes TBD...
    Of course...... That makes sense.

Lid has been fixed, and fitted to the box. Holes from the grooves have been patched....coat of that smelly BLO was applied.....may need a second coat..we'll see

Then, tomorrow, I'll see about adding the latch and hinges....as soon as I figure out which is the front of the box...

Ok, pictures!
    2nd coat.jpg
    After a second coat of BLO...first kind of soaked in
    top view.jpg
    View from the top..
    end view 1.jpg
    And one of the ends....red stripe? Repair
    lid details.jpg
    Due to that Stanley 45 sliding of course....Black Cherry scrap. Took some real fine tuning...before and after the glue up...
    Trying to decide which will be the "front" of the box...so I can add the latch. Hinges are also to be installed, once that smelly BLO dries.
    front view. maybe.jpg
    Hmmm...
    stay tuned, this could take a while...

Nice candy box!
    And I am jealous of your wood stash.

Enjoyed the post Steven.
    I'm sure the kids will love the nice box you made too.

Nice Show! The end grain on the alternating fingers make for a good contrast and of course the Red Stripe, but I do prefer mine in bottles.
    I especially liked the way you were able to overcome a possible disaster, great work at problem solving.
    Rick

Hinges have been installed.....after a long, drawn out fight...I hate hinges! Wasn't in the mood after that, so when the latch was having "issues"...it went straight into the trash can. Will go out and get a different style later today...Added another coat of BLO, for now. I did not add any finish to the inside.....it is for candy....

May call this done...
    PIP.jpg
    Three coats of BLO....not sure IF it will need a top coat of varnish...
    latched.jpg
    Latch may just have to do...was having "issues" withthe other one...until it flew off into the trash can

hinged.jpg
    One of these days...I might get to like hinges....this wasn't one of them. They are on, they work, leave them be.

May be a couple weeks BEFORE the next project can start....fractured my right thumb today, working on building the steel frames for a gazebo, beam fell on it, while I was holding the drill-driver...broke a chip off the bone. Sitting here with a splint on the whole right hand..and me being right handed...Dr. Feelgood is in the house.

Thumb turned all kinds of colours....was today Monday, or something?

Booooo!
    Sorry to hear of your injury, and hope you heal up fast.
    Feel good/better soon.

I hope your heal quickly. Things like that can happen when you escape a dungeon to the outdoors. Some cold brew may help the healing a bit.
    Jim

This is what fell down onto my thumb...direct hit right behind the thumbnail..
    IMG_1072 (640x480).jpg
    8' beam that needed to be screwed into the corner post. Visegrips finger clamp slipped off, and everything fell down, was trying to get a self-drilling screw to do it's job...
    IMG_1073 (640x480).jpg
    right about here, thumb was hurting too much to continue...

Still have a LOT of Curly Maple left, and 7 bf of Black WALNUT. May do an inventory to see just what there is in "stock".....

Get well soon! Hope you heal quickly!!!! Great box project.