Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Box, to hold some candy

Simple Box, to hold some candy

Decided to wait and varnish two projects...so, here goes the next project.

Desk will be delivered to the Boss' Pastor, a week from Sunday....gives me a week to get a little box done. Both will be delivered at the same time.

Had a board, planed down to about 7/16" or some..
    Cherry.jpg
    Hoping to get all the parts but the bottom out of this one 6" wide board.
    mitre saw.jpg
    Mitre saw to cut the parts.
    IMG_0944 (640x480).jpg
    Laid them out. Two ends, a front and a back, and way down there is a panel to put into the lid....
    finger layout.jpg
    1/4" wide finger joints Not handsawed, would take way too long, bandsaw made these cuts.....it started to make a butch of racket....
    Turned out the lower wheel had a blow out..
    tire.jpg
    About like them "Road Gators" Semis leave on the highway? Bandsaw still ran ok, and was even quieter
    Was going to use the same chisel I laid out the fingers to chop them with..
    tools.jpg
    Found a little bit better one to use..
    Chisel.jpg
    1/4" Firmer chisel by Buck Brothers....the ones BEFORE HD came about.

So, now I have all four ends of the sides "fingered" need to...No Mountain Dew!? Breaktime.
    So. maybe I can get the ends fingered up tomorrow? have about an inch of water running across the shop floor, right now
    creek.jpg
    Right where I have to stand, too.
    had to yank the drain pipe from the washing machine out of the floor drain....and then listen to the whirlpool as all that water drained out.
    maybe tomorrow, I can work with DRY feet? Stay tuned...

nice project. Very sorry to hear about the plumbing problems. Hope no fine woods got damaged.

I keep all the lumber up off the floor as much as I can...the "good" lumber is upstairs, out of the shop.

Floor is drying out nicely, be ready for work tomorrow..baring any more gulley-washer storms...

Next up, when I get back to the shop to work...the two ends need the fingers done. Then comes the time for the Stanley #45 to make a bunch of grooves Bottom panel, lid panel, and a pair of offset grooves to split the lid off the case. Maybe a weekend's work?

Shop has dried out, yard sales seen....maybe get back to a little woodworking, now?

Corner #1 was chopped and fitted..
    IMG_0969 (640x480).jpg
    I'd rather have the fingers a tad long, than too short....while it was sitting here, I laid out for the next corner
    IMG_0970 (640x480).jpg
    SHARP pencil to mark the lines, saw on the waste side of those lines..chop out the waste, and dry fit
    IMG_0972 (640x480).jpg
    Then lay out and chop the last two corners..
    .IMG_0974 (640x480).jpg
    And we have something that looks like a box. Needs a lid made out of the upper 2", and a groove to house a panel in the lid, a groove to house the Poplar panel for the bottom. Then run a third groove...to split off the lid from the box. All of the grooves will be by a plane..
    IMG_0977 (640x480).jpg
    Once the inside grooves are done, and the two panels shaped to fit, I can glue the box together......then a fourth groove to split the lid off is run around, just below the inside groove, leaving a lip as a seal.

At least that is the plan...hinges will be the hard part....awful thin back there...stay tuned.

Maintenance for the Stanley 45 this morning, and set it up to plough a few grooves. May also hone the back of the cutters, have been getting used a bunch lately, might need a trip to the strop..

Need to build a jig....needs to be able to hold not only the 12" long sides, but the 6" ends as well. Thin boards, so the plane's fence will have to be out in space....so it won't rub on the side of the bench.

IF I can get the grooves milled, I can then size the top and bottom panels for a slightly loose fit. Being built in a not so DRY shop, when I take the box out of the shop the panels will shrink a hair.

Then I can glue the parts together...AFTER I mark where the outside groove needs to be. Would be kind of hard to see, otherwise, after the box is closed up and glued.

Stay tuned...we may be getting a "Groovy" feeling...

Had a road trip come up...just about the time I was ready for the glue up to start...
    IMG_0979 (640x480).jpgJig in use..
    IMG_0982 (640x480).jpg After a few quick runs on the ends..
    IMG_0983 (640x480).jpg
    Adjust the jig and do the long sides....reset the fence on the Stanley 45 Plough plane
    IMG_0987 (640x480).jpg
    And make the middle grooves..
    IMG_0986 (640x480).jpg
    Where the lid will be split off at. Used a pine scrap to get a few measurements...
    IMG_0985 (640x480).jpg
    Almost like a story stick. showing me how small the panels needed to be.....I also needed to thin a few edges....
    IMG_0991 (640x480).jpg
    Top panel I can plane a bevel, like a raised panel thingy....
    IMG_0992 (640x480).jpg
    Millers Falls No.8 seemed to work nicely enough...stay tuned

Ok, I beveled the edges of the panel for the lid....had to check for fit as I went along..
    IMG_0994 (640x480).jpg
    I worked the end grain first, then along the edges
    dry fit.jpg
    Dry fit. Need to plane an edge or two, fit is a tad too tight, yet
    Now, the bottom panel, no need to get fancy
    IMG_0996 (640x480).jpg
    Rebates all around. My "shoulder plane to do most of the work...end grain was bandsawn first, then cleaned up with the plane
    IMG_0998 (640x480).jpg
    The Poplar was a little rough sawn...same #3 sized plane to smooth it out...
    IMG_1000 (640x480).jpg
    Shoulder plane,, and the other two in use..
    IMG_1001 (640x480).jpg
    I used the marking gauge to make a line the shoulder plane could follow, until it could be leveled out and cutting flat.
    IMG_0997 (640x480).jpg
    Then sweep the floor, time for the road trip.....
    I MIGHT mosey down that way in a little while, and get Elmer involved...and a bunch of clamps....LOTS of clamps.

Stay tuned...

3 hours in the shop, this morning...was almost set to do the glue up.....had a road trip to do instead. Might have got a wee bit done, today?

Went back to the shop....panels have been fine tuned for a better fit. One was even sanded.
    Then the fight was on..
    left side.jpg
    Can not..
    center.jpg
    have..
    right side.jpg
    TOO many clamps
    have dried Elmer's under my shoes, peeling the stuff off my fingers again....
    Of the large clamp inventory in the shop....all but two are here.
    Will let this sit overnight. Bench is too full to do any more work. Thunderstorms are rolling through town....have to keep an eye on the shop floor, again.

Right now, almost done with an Ice Cold Guinness Draught.....may be another before too long...
    Stay tuned, maybe tomorrow afternoon, I can "split" the lid off?

Hmmm, Monday means the shop is usually closed for the day......wonder IF that includes removing a forest of clamps?

Have to move the Standing Desk to a spot where I can apply a coat of varnish to it.....but not into the shop...

Maybe after a while, I may try to get something done.....

Road trip...supplies have been bought. Even some "brush cleaner" and tack cloths! Latch for the candy box, parts for the Langdon Mitre box.

Varnish is on the desk, will need steel wooled and wiped off, before coat #2 can start.. Bought "foot pads" to add to the bottom of the legs....just nail-on ones.

Still have BUNCH of 4/4 x 6" Curly Maple and Flame Cherry to use.....and now have a few board feet of Black Walnut 1x4s....and plenty of 1/2" thick Poplar boards....Might ake a while to work my way through all of this. May need to research a few project ideas....BTW.....there is this 4/4 x 13-1/4" x 48" solid plank....Has a split, but not too bad.....thinking a table top of some sort...picture IF anyone wants to see it....?

Leaned onto a handtruck..
    IMG_1007 (342x640).jpg
    Last owner was trying out a colour of stain, when he found that crack..
    IMG_1008 (640x480).jpg
    Without the stain. Has some figure to it, though...
    IMG_1009 (480x640).jpg
    About half of the supply. There is a part of a sheet of 3/4" plywood in there, as well...blue bag is full of patio cushions....might be awhile before I am using just old pine boards, again....

Teaser from last night..
    the Crew.jpg
    The Crew wanted to do a little work late last night....
    groovy.jpg
    Maybe sometime today, I can get the lid off?

Utility knife to cut most of the lid off,....needed the backsaw on the ends?

Shoulder plane to thin the lip a bit, until the lid would fit the box..
    IMG_1028 (640x480).jpg
    Reason the backsaw was needed? The grooves had gone off-course there...decided to just level them out, and add cherry pieces shaped like this..[ to each end
    IMG_1031 (640x480).jpg
    Scraps from making the end fillers were re-used..
    plugged.jpg
    A little Elmer's a bit of Cherry sawdust, then sand it flush..
    sanded.jpg
    So,, now I am waiting on glue again. Hinges I bought a while back...were buried on the Mitre box Bench...
    parts.jpg
    Not sure IF they will work...yet. Latch isn't a problem...hinges MAY be too small...or...not long enough...
    Stay tuned...