Thread: Wood Selection for Mortise Chisel Handles

Wood Selection for Mortise Chisel Handles

I just received a set of English Mortise Chisels I purchased on eBay. One had a very short handle, so I split it open and will be making a new handle for it. I understand the typical woods would be beech, ash, maple etc....woods that would compress to receive the tang.

I'm interested in using maybe purpleheart, African Blackwood or padauk due to aesthetics. I know these are more prone to cracking if the tang is too tight, but if the tang is fit just right, are they likely to split in use?

How do other domestics like cherry or walnut fare?

The rest of the chisels are handled in apple, judging by the red patina on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasin Haroon View Post
    I just received a set of English Mortise Chisels I purchased on eBay. One had a very short handle, so I split it open and will be making a new handle for it. I understand the typical woods would be beech, ash, maple etc....woods that would compress to receive the tang.

I'm interested in using maybe purpleheart, African Blackwood or padauk due to aesthetics. I know these are more prone to cracking if the tang is too tight, but if the tang is fit just right, are they likely to split in use?

How do other domestics like cherry or walnut fare?

The rest of the chisels are handled in apple, judging by the red patina on them.
    I don't know the answer to this, so am interested in answers from more knowledgeable folks: Does compressibility and therefore resistance to cracking also matter when it comes to taking the pounding associated with mortising?

On a related note, do these have full bolsters (ones that are as wide as the handle)?

Blog Entries
    Google hornbeam chisel handles.

Lie Nielsen uses hornbeam.

I imagine that beech is a common handle wood. However, use whatever hardwood you have in your offcut bin. Just ensure that the grain is running lengthwide, or rive the wood to get this. I have re-handled oval bolstered mortice chisels from a variety of species, and all have lasted pretty well over the dozen or so years I have used them.

There is a pictorial on my website showing the steps I use ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRes...%20Chisel.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

The many 18th. C. mortising chisels I have seen,with original handles,had beech wood handles. I think Northern HARD maple would be even better. ELM has interlocking grain,and would be excellent. You'll probably have to rasp it into final shape.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-15-2017 at 7:58 AM.

I've see this asked before. You might search SMC. I searched for "chisel handles" and among those threads listed was this one from 2010:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...andle-material

I personally prefer dogwood. Lignum vitae is also tough.

JKJ

+1 on dogwood. John and I are from the same neck of the woods. I was born and raised near Johnson City, TN.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

I wonder how Black Locust would work? Around here they call it Ironwood, and for good reason. The stuff makes Oak look soft by comparison.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Black Locust would work just fine Rob. It is hard, dense, extremely rot resistant, and can be really pretty. In New England the joke is that one Black Locust fence post will outlast 6 post holes.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

The one time I used purpleheart, it seemed a bit brittle to me. But I'm no expert on it.
    Fred