Thread: What type of glue for wood for turning

What type of glue for wood for turning

I want to glue up some boards for spindle turning. Kiln tried maple, cherry, walnut, tiger wood?, maybe some others. I will make pepper grinders. Is Titebond or similar the glue to use? How long should I let it dry. Thank you, David

I use titebond III for bowl blank glue ups and it have never failed me. I would think your application would be similar. I let it dry over night, just to be safe. I don't like the idea of parts flying around. :-)
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks - I was thinking of days for drying time. Thanks

Any of the Titebonds will do fine, but there are differences in working time and in water resistance. Clamping under moderate pressure will give better results both in lack of gaps and strength.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I used Titebond Thick & Quick (used to be called Sash & Trim) due to it's short tack time and quick set time.
    For rare applications I use a good 30 min epoxy.
    The only time I use CA is "pen" tubes.

This may apply to your application, but -all- glues have creep, that is a blank glued to a glue-block and left on the lathe... well gravity sux, it will end up off-center.
    I try to never leave a glue-up on the lathe. If I'm taking a break, I take it off the lathe, even if I think I will be back in 5 min (vrs 5 weeks)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

David,
    I been doing segmented turning for about 6 years now and have used the original titebond and have never had a glue joint fail yet. I have found a new type out from Titebond that is translucent and it drys clear started using it on the open segmented piece am doing now

0712172212.jpg

Thank you all. David

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post

This may apply to your application, but -all- glues have creep, that is a blank glued to a glue-block and left on the lathe... well gravity sux, it will end up off-center.
    I try to never leave a glue-up on the lathe. If I'm taking a break, I take it off the lathe, even if I think I will be back in 5 min (vrs 5 weeks)
    I have never heard of or experienced "creep" from a glue block....I sometimes leave a turning on the lathe for a week or more before I get back to it and it always runs as true as when I left it....

I agree with Barry. Creep is an old WHITE glue thing. But since turners are often using woods with a lot of moisture there might be some movement seeming to be like creep.

On the recommendation of a professional in the glue business, 2 years ago I started using Elmer’s Carpenter Wood Glue Max. I never had any problems with the Titebond glues, but I trust this guy, and made the switch.

Barry speaks with straight tongue--CA and epoxies definitely do not creep and CA loves wet wood for glueblocks. However it seems to hold only for 20 years or so last time I checked.