Thread: What year is this Stanley 71 Router Planer? Additional vintage tools?

What year is this Stanley 71 Router Planer? Additional vintage tools?

I bought a "LOT" of tools today. It had some newer stuff and some older stuff. Thought I would take a chance and buy it. The Stanley 71 caught my eye. Its a complete set up. Comes wit the tool (of course) 3 blades, box, paperwork, and the original tag is still on it. Theres a little rust but it doesn't appear to have pitting. Should be an easy clean up. It doesn't even looked like it was used. Any idea what year this is from and how much its worth? Its pretty cool it has all the parts and paperwork. It says Made in England

IMG_2866 2.jpgIMG_3379 2.jpgIMG_9242 2.jpgIMG_8583 2.jpgIMG_8989 2.jpg

Heres a photo of the additional vintage tools. Any idea what they are and what they are used for?

IMG_5387.jpg

Ill get some better pics of the tools. Let me know if you have any info!

My guess is that the 71 is fairly modern, especially since it's marked Made in England and it still has a box and documentation. The date of manufacture is pretty immaterial if you're going to use it.

For value, search for completed listing on eBay. The real "value" in that plane is that it's complete and has a box. Most of the ones you see on eBay are not complete and most do not have boxes.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

For the 71, try here: http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/rou...tanley_71.html

And I agree with Mike: Routers aren't much different/year of manufacture doesn't make much difference in use. Nice that you got all the cutters, and the fence; and that the finish on the knobs looks to be in decent shape (the later knobs are just painted black, and the paint's often pretty well shot).

For the other stuff:

1. Tube with the squeeze bulb at far left is automotive, either a battery acid tester or an antifreeze level (what percentage antifreeze in your coolant) tester; I'd have to see it in person.
    2. Pliers in the middle, with the "wheel" on one jaw and tubes sticking out of the wheel, are (inexpensive) leather/other leatherlike material punching pliers, missing one punch.
    3. Thing to the left of those pliers looks like a countersink to fit a brace (the tapered square tang tells you it's for a brace).
    4. Pliers below #2 might be cheap hog ring pliers - are there little slots in the jaws? I'd need to see them in person, again, to hazard a guess.
    5. Just to the right handle of #2, at the bottom end, is an internal pipe wrench for threaded pipe (black gas pipe or galvanized water pipe). Fits just one size, usually marked on it. Helpful, if you do much plumbing, for removing short nipples of pipe or in tight spots. If you don't do plumbing, ask around your neighborhood for who does.
    6. To the right of #5 are two screwdriver bits for a brace.
    7. To the left of #4 is a rasp bit for an electric drill. Horrible things to use.

I'd have to see the other stuff in person to identify or speculate on its use - some of what's there looks mysterious from the picture.

Blog Entries
    Check the pamphlet for a printing date. They often had a month and year stamp on them somewhere.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Bill, YOU ARE THE MAN! You know your tools sir. I really appreciate the information. That web site seems to be the best place for a good estimate on the date.

Jim, I looked at the pamphlet. No Luck. No date or anything on it. I figured the same thing. oh well. Im going to try and find a local to see if I can get an exact date.

Now, I am trying to decide whether to keep it or sell it…

A "sort of local" antique store has a nib English made #71 for $125.00. Has the fence, three cutters and a nice box. No instructions.

Router planes are right helpful, if you're doing much handwork. But only you can decide if it helps the kind of work you do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cogar View Post
    Heres a photo of the additional vintage tools. Any idea what they are and what they are used for?

IMG_5387.jpg

Ill get some better pics of the tools. Let me know if you have any info!
    The thing with the rubber bulb is a hydrometer used to check the charge in a battery. The pliers looking thing with the tubes on the wheel is a leather punch with several different size punches. One is missing though. The auger bit with the cone on the end is a counter sink. You also have two flat screw driver bits for use with an Hand Brace. The black thing at the bottom left is a rasp for use in a drill.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute