Thread: electric question

electric question

Any idea how old this 220 volt line is ?DSCN1840.jpg

It's the silver colored wire , 2nd wire down from the beam

Looks to be commensurate with the age of the building. Other clues are smooth planed dimensional lumber multiply sistered together to make an adequate joist, along with that flexible metallic conduit and black iron pipe. I've seen the same materials used in homes from the late forties to mid-fifties. Am I close?

Quote Originally Posted by Mey St. Denis View Post
    Looks to be commensurate with the age of the building. Other clues are smooth planed dimensional lumber multiply sistered together to make an adequate joist, along with that flexible metallic conduit and black iron pipe. I've seen the same materials used in homes from the late forties to mid-fifties. Am I close?

No. House built in 1870

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    No. House built in 1870
    Sure it's not a gas line then My 1920's house had knob and tube but someone then ran 220 for an electric oven. Wire had silver insulation. Probably done in the 50's or 60's.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Clearly then, the rather limited section you've photographed is certainly not original to a home built in 1870. Can you disclose the point of your inquiry?.. Are you concerned with the reliability or current capacity of that particular large gauge 3 conductor jacketed wire?..

74FBB805-EB6D-4603-86CE-7B472D6ED2AE-15274-000007D9F6A532CD.jpegThis might be of help. http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Ol...cal_Wiring.php. Also a home inspection site about cloth covered wire. http://www.mystpetersburghomeinspect...ed-wiring.html discusses use dates and notes how brittle the insulation has become since use.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson