Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who have a "floor sweep" hooked into their DC setup -

I have the 5" (10" opening) Oneida version. Very nice but honestly I rarely use it. I much prefer to do shop floor cleanup with my Festool CT vac and the Festool Workshop Cleaning Set. I prefer taking the vacuum hose around the shop rather than sweeping all over the place and dragging the dust back to the floor sweep. Plus I have large/deep expansion joints in the floor so no matter what I do I still have to come back over those with a vacuum to clean them out.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Interesting that many have not found floor sweeps convenient. I use mine frequently, but I will admit, not every time. I have a shop vac hooked up to a Dust Deputy and use it for some cleanup. My DC is portable and has about 10 ft. of pickup hose, so plugging the floor sweep in where ever its needed is easy. I don't need to sweep the stuff all the way across the shop. My floor sweep was made of MDF scraps and a metal HVAC fitting. It hooks up to a 6" hose
    It's heavy enough to stay where it's put. No so with the lightweight sheet metal one it replaced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James Gunning; 07-20-2017 at 10:16 PM.

I have one centrally located in the shop (hooked up to the 7.5 hp Belfab collector). Gets used multiple times a day.

Wouldnt want to be without it..
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    I have one centrally located in the shop (hooked up to the 7.5 hp Belfab collector). Gets used multiple times a day.

Wouldnt want to be without it..
    I don't trust my employees enough to do that.

I've got a similar story to a lot of people here. One of the main things I was excited about when I first got a DC with a cyclone was a floor sweep. In the end, I took it off the system and put in a 4' extendable Rockler Dust Right 4" hose (which stretches out to like 28' or something ridiculous) and the Rockler floor nozzle. The floor nozzle is mildly cumbersome, so I typically sweep up the big stuff and then rove around the shop and get as many of the nooks and crannies as I can.

The floor sweep was cool, but this takes up a similar amount of space and is more versatile.

Floor sweep.jpg

Here's a photo of mine, it's a 4' X 10" floor boot with a 5" inlet.............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I took my floor sweeps out. If I have to sweep towards the 'floor sweep' I may as well use a dust pan and save the quicker fill on my DC bin. JMHO.

+1 on the vac for floor cleanup. I sweep/dust pan curlies from hand tools.
    Same for me.

Anyone have 6" inlet floor sweeps available they are not using?

Blog Entries
    I need to put one in at work. I'll put chicken wire on it...

Home shop? Need one there too...

Not that this helps you any but I put my system in with a floor sleep. I used the Oneida sweep like pictured earlier. After a couple of years I have not used it once. When I first put it in I lined the bottom with rare earth magnets to catch a metals. I tested it and it works great. Even so I don't have much wood dust on the ground with the new system. Most ground debris is other "junk" I would be hesitant to send to the collector. I find a vacuum or dust pan works better then sweeping to a fixed spot hoping you don't suck up a handful of screws. Maybe by a lathe for piles of curls would be good?

I have one but haven't used it as much as I thought I would. One problem is that it isn't discriminant about what it sucks up!! LOL!
    I've also gotten lazy in my years and tend to use a leaf-blower to clean out the shop. I want to make sure the neighborhood enjoys the sawdust as much as I do.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

MIK_3777.jpg
    No better way to terminate a leg coming from the ceiling. I've got three outlets on mine that feed my combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Sorry if this makes me sound like an idiot, but what do you mean?
    No better way to terminate a leg coming from the ceiling. I've got three outlets on mine that feed my combo.
    MIK_3777.jpg

Mike, that's a great way to anchor the drop in a useful way!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Having a really smooth floor makes it so easy to sweep up using a horsehair push broom. Before I laid my Pergo I had a well used concrete floor in my basement shop which required me to push, push, push which still left dust on the floor and in the air. Now I can do a long push without raising dust. No floor sweep for me. If I need a thorough clean up I use my shop vac and 4" Rockler DustRight. Really thorough? I close the doors, Run the ambient cleaner on full, open my blast gates, wear a n95 mask and blow everything down with compressed air, then vac. Maybe once a year or less.