Thread: Pickings were....not the best,today

Pickings were....not the best,today

Five Yard sales, two of which were Barn Sale style...Only stopped at the two Barn Sales...First one had theusual rusty handsaws....picked one for $2.50....second place I found a framer's square...two more dollars spent..
    tools.jpg
    Saw is 20" long. I hammered out the bends and kinks, and Simple Green and an old chisel to scrape off the rust...
    IMG_0954 (640x480).jpg
    Looking a little better...found a nice, readable Etch..
    etch.jpg
    There is an "8" inside that "D" Plate was stamped as a 10, handle looked like a panel saw D8...one little fly in the soup..
    medallion.jpg
    I don't think Disston used this style on their saws..

Ok, road trip, stopped at a place, and after telling the fellow to keep his over-priced clamps ($18 for the same F style clamp at harbour freight) I managed to get a slight discount on a saw
    rip saw.jpg
    He wanted $5..he got $3...Under that rust, there was an etch..
    etch 2.jpg
    26" long, 6ppi, looks filed rip. Anyone hear of the "The Farmer" brand of saw?
    bolts.jpg
    Bolts looked old..
    slots.jpg
    But not too old. Medallion is a Warranted Superior.
    Not too bad of a day?

Good haul! I've seen the Phoenix Warranted recently but can't find it now.

Found It!
    http://lumberjocks.com/summerfi/blog/39861
    Last edited by Rick Malakoff; 07-14-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Was even skimpier today.....all I found worth the effort to pick up? A DeWalt DW610..for $10..
    dirty.jpg
    A bit scroungy looking, has a Bosch 3/4" x 1" roundover bit
    bit.jpg
    1/2" shank....might need a bit of clean-up?

At least it runs....I didn't see any wrenches.....decided to get back in the van and try the next sale....

As soon as I figure what an electric router is....I might find some use for this thing...

Ok, back to the handsaws...

The Disston D8 panel saw merely needs a Disston Medallion to finish it up.

The Farmer? have no clue as to what it is....it IS a 6ppi straight back rip saw. Beyond that..no clue. handle has an "Atkins" feel to it. I don't want to mess with those bolts, not sure WHAT they are like...the medallion is a WS with eagle. It is "sunken" in flush with the handle's surface. never seen that kind of etch before....no clues as to who made it, either. Plate still "sings" when you thumb it, BTW, so the temper seems to be good.

Went back to that sale today....thinking I could find a junker Disston...nope, all but one were WS medallioned. The lone exception was a plastic handled D-100 ( Tenite?) missing a bolt, and was a 4ppi rip. Passed.

The Phoenix was made by Atkins, see earlier post.

Plate is a Disston etched D8 20" panel saw. With the pre-1928 panel saw D8 handle. Thinking they broke the medallion bolt off at one time, and replaced with the Atkins medallion. Happen to have two other Atkins saws in the shop, one is a Pheonix Ship saw. The other is the AAA style No.59

Nice finds. I'd be happy with that.
    I found a nice face vise yesterday, a 1" Marples(pre Irwin) and a small file handle. I'm a happy camper.
    I will post pics in their own thread when I get the time to take them.
    The Marples' handle is loose. It tightens up if you tap it a bit, but will come off like a socket chisel handle will. I plan to fill the handle with epoxy and that should last as long as I do, I think.