Thread: G0701 Experiences?

G0701 Experiences?

I am shopping for a saw for larger reading and this model intrigues me, but it seems that the reviews are very sparse. Does anyone have any personal experience or own this saw?
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

It seems like a nice saw. There's some threads where Mr. Grizzly himself elaborates on its virtues compared to the european saws.

The problem is that the G0701 is almost the same price as a MM20 (if you haggle with the dealers).

Thanks Bob, I am pricing/specing the MM S500P and Laguna LT18HD. The lack of feedback on the G0701 does make me wonder though.

I ended up getting an MM24 a couple years back. It's a neat saw, for sure, but it's unrefined and, in many ways, crude and poorly designed. Just my opinion, maybe not a popular one. The guides are junk, the adjustments are difficult, the table insert is a joke, dust collection almost nonexistent. The saw is literally several hundred pounds lighter than advertised. The super high cutting height (24") is useless, but weakens the beam strength of the band leading to more wandering. The table has a split in the front, but no pin and no support whatsoever on the right side (where most of the weight usually is). The insert is likewise split and likewise has no support in the front where the weight sits. The tires (which legend says are not glued on) were in fact glued on, but they were so niggardly with the glue that both tires came off and were ruined within a year of occasional use.

If I were doing it again I would get a saw with the biggest wheels I could find but without the super high resaw. Would have saved quite a bit of money and probably headache as well.

Thanks Bob. As far as resaw height, that is the main reason I am looking to upgrade. I mill a lot of my own slabs, and usually save the drops/character pieces and cut them in to veneers for humidors/jewelry boxes/etc. The 12" height limit on my current saw has been a shortcoming, as well as its ability to cut a consistent thickness under 1/8". It tends to wander a little as the boards get taller.

I did get feedback from Grizzly. No one within 100 miles of me has their 0701 model.

I think I will look at the laguna LT18 and the MM S500p.

I suggest bigger wheels because they let you run a thicker band and/or give longer blade life, which matters a lot when you're talking about bands that can cost hundreds of dollars. There is a big functional difference in beam strength between a 1.25 wide, .42" thick band and a 1" .35 or thinner band. But you can't run the thicker blade on 20" wheels--or at least you shouldn't as it won't last as long.

If I had it to do over I'd consider Grizzly's 24" bandsaw with the 16" resaw height, IIRC.

I run a Woodmaster Ct on my Aggazani b20/20.You will have a hard time trying to beat that blade for resawing.I have looked at running a bigger saw with the thicker blades.The kerf gets starts getting very big from what I remember 1/16 inch.
    Plus it might push your electrical service starting a 36 inch wheel.

That's my recommendation for anyone looking at Resaw Bandsaw setup Woodmaster Ct on a 20 inch wheel.
    Aj