Thread: Anyone ever change an Iphone 5 battery?

Blog Entries

Question Anyone ever change an Iphone 5 battery?

My granddaughters Iphone 5 needs a new battery. I have looked on youtube and changing it looks pretty easy. Amazon offers a battery and tool kit for $30. Apple will change the battery for $80. Has anyone ever changed their Iphone 5 battery? Any tips for changing the battery?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Seems criminal to design a device where the battery has a lifespan shorter than that of the device as a whole and charge $80.00 to replace it.

Try Bulb 'n Batteries. Never used them but they are supposedly skilled at do it.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    My granddaughters Iphone 5 needs a new battery. I have looked on youtube and changing it looks pretty easy. Amazon offers a battery and tool kit for $30. Apple will change the battery for $80. Has anyone ever changed their Iphone 5 battery? Any tips for changing the battery?
    Thanks
    I went the amazon route for my 5s. It's extremely tedious because everything is so minuscule. Battery came with required tools to opens the phone case. Probably would not do it again cause I was scared to death I would damage the circuit board.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    Seems criminal to design a device where the battery has a lifespan shorter than that of the device as a whole and charge $80.00 to replace it.
    Then again, the iPhone 5 is, well...five generations back from current and about to be six generations back. The battery the OP needs to replace has actually exceeded its likely intended lifespan. OEM replacement tends to pay more attention to re-sealing, etc., and is the actual OEM specified battery. So the battery itself is likely a bit more expensive and the labor costs money, too. It's a choice...DIY, supplying your own labor and taking the risk of messing something up, or having the OEM or other qualified provider do the work and supply the part.

That all said, $80 is more than the actual phone is worth at this point, although buying a replacement phone would be much more.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd get the $30 kit but I like those type of little projects. My battery was done on my 5 but so was the software and it had all kinds of annoying faults. I bit the bullet and got a new phone.

$80 for an OEM battery installed by the OEM sounds like a good deal to me if you aren't willing to modernize the phone. Given that the next release of IOS doesn't support the 5, things are going to go downhill fast for iPhone 5 users as apps are updated.

just get a new phone it will be faster and better.

I would just buy an iPhone SE instead of messing around with an iPhone 5. Best Buy supposedly sells an unlocked iPhone SE for $199. Your carrier may have deals for the SE too. The SE is $399 from Apple, but there are deals all over on the SE and I would never pay $399 for one.

Apple is dropping support for older iPads and iPhones in IOS all the time. The problem is lack of security updates and new apps won't work with the old iOS. My employers replaces perfectly good iPads every three to four years when security updates come out and can't be installed on the older iPads.

The battery in my iPhone 6 started going bad and Staples put a new one in it for $40. Check around and I think you'll find companies who will do the replacement for you for less than $80.

I'll add that I've had the replacement battery for a while and have had no problems. There's nothing special about the battery that Apple uses - they buy it from someone else. A major company, such as Staples who I went with, is going to use good batteries - especially since they stand behind them with a guarantee.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-15-2017 at 1:23 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    We've replaced batteries in our iPhone 5 but not with an OEM battery. This gave only marginal success. One swelled so much the glass was bending. LOML's battery life with the relacement is awful. I replaced my iPhone 5 with a 7 as many things had died on mine (camera, flash, volume control,etc.) and when it started shutting down 2-3 times per day, that was the end. If one was ti replace thebattery, I would strongly recommend the OEM battery.

LOML still uses hers, but the end is near.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I replaced my iPhone 5 with a 7 as many things had died on mine (camera, flash, volume control,etc.) and when it started shutting down 2-3 times per day, that was the end. If one was to replace the battery, I would strongly recommend the OEM battery.
    This is exactly why I still use an old LG flip phone. I paid $500 for the wife's I phone 5 a few years ago, it was doing the same thing. She just got a refurb replacement about 2 months ago, and it just randomly won't work at times. I should pay $700 for a 7 that will do the same thing in a few years? I get better life span from my Harbor Freight tools. If THEY ever start selling smart phones, I might finally get one

IMO Apple stuff is severely overpriced. $80 for a battery is evidence enough for me...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Most people replace an iPhone (or any smartphone) because it is obsolete and not because the hardware fails. My employer has around 450 iPhones. We were seeing about 10 to 15 iPhones a year fail outside of warranty per year which I think is pretty good. We just replaced almost all iPhones due to a carrier switch that is saving a ton of money so we are not seeing old phones fail right now. We have probably have upwards of one phone a week that is lost, stolen, or gets wet.

I hope to get another year or two out of my personal iPhone that is three years old now.

I do wish they made batteries replaceable, but that is not just Apple. I got my father a new battery for his Samsung Galaxy S4 recently and the battery lasts longer than it ever did.

An iPhone 5 has not been worth replacing the battery for at least a year. Even a perfectly working 5 is eWaste at this point. Get a new phone of get off the iPhone system. We have 22 iPhones and figure they are good for 4 years max.
    IF you want a battery replacement, I would consider nothing but an Apple battery replacement. In other words, the $80 is probably flogging a dead mule but anything less is worse.