Thread: GF Enduro WB Varnish Doesn't Bond to Plastic

GF Enduro WB Varnish Doesn't Bond to Plastic

I've been using General Finishes waterborne Enduro Var (satin) for about a year and really like it. I've used it on a wide range of solid wood projects and the finish generally comes out better than I deserve. I'm using a Qualspray HVLP 1.3 with the PPS system.

Last week I built a bath vanity with Lacewood veneer laid over 5/8" mdf panels with solid wood edging. I tested with the varnish on an end panel and it worked fine. This morning I sprayed the backs of all the panels and the only issue I'm having is one panel (shown) where I stupidly sanded through a spot on the inside (where it backs up to a drawer and won't be seen) and exposed the epoxy. Yes I used epoxy for the veneer lamination (because I was in a rush and aliphatics take so long to cure in a vacuum). So the issue seems to be that the varnish won't bond - like at all - to the plastic. Not sure it is going to be fatal in this situation since that specific location backs up to a drawer front ... but. Anyone else have a similar issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 07-15-2017 at 2:51 PM. Reason: added close-up photo
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I've never tried putting EnduroVar on epoxy, Bill, but I tested it over GF's Enduro Pre Cat Lacquer and it doesn't bond very well to that so I'm not surprised with your results. But if it's on the back of the drawer front it's not going to show so I wouldn't be too concerned. If you want to get some finish on it, just because, scuff sand that panel pretty good and shoot it with a coat of SealCoat shellac, and then give it another coat of EnduroVar.

John

Vanity nearing completion. Still need pulls, adjustments and some finishing (bottom frame).
    20170718-WRA_7874.jpg
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Looks good from what I can see, Bill. Your photography skills are as poor as mine! So did SealCoat bond to the epoxy?

John