Thread: Anyone use the Tormek to Wolverine adapter?

Anyone use the Tormek to Wolverine adapter?

I'm looking at the Tormek to Wolverine Adapter/Mount Kit and am wondering if anyone is using it. I can't find any reviews on the net.

tormek-to-wolverine-adapter-mount-kit-for-bench-grinders-owc-200

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    I'm looking at the Tormek to Wolverine Adapter/Mount Kit and am wondering if anyone is using it. I can't find any reviews on the net.

tormek-to-wolverine-adapter-mount-kit-for-bench-grinders-owc-200
    Roy,

I've used one similar to that for years and I use it often. I made this long before they came out with the kit - simply bought a support rod and bracket from Tormek as spare parts and mounted the bracket on a wooden block. I cut away part of the wood block to provide clearance for the Wolverine locking handle. I mounted that grinder, block, and Wolverine brackets on a piece of plywood so I can move the whole thing if needed.

tormek_B.jpg

I sometimes shape the bevel profile on the bench grinder using the Tormek jig then move to a finer wheel on the Tormek for sharpening. These days I've gone to all CBN for the bench grinders and a 1200 grit CBN on the Tormek.

The adapter kit looks sturdy enough - I suspect it will work fine.

JKJ

I have used one for a number of years and like it. I do as above, CBN on the slow speed grinder then touch up on the Tormek.

I just bought one a short time ago. I haven't used it much, but it seem to work just fine. I had several Tormek jigs and my fake Tormek died (Jet knock-off) I still wanted to use the jigs instead of spending $$ for a real Tormek. I wouldn't say it is heavy duty.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

The V arm of the Wolverine was of no use to me being that long so I cut off half of it on both of my V arms. That left me two pieces of cut off so when I bought the Tormek to Wolverine adapter I used one of the cut offs and made it a permanent part of the adapter which goes on and off as needed. Rough in or change a profile then finish with either Tormek or grinder with CBN wheels.

Bill, that is a great idea. I bought an xtra v arm for the Tormek adapter. I am going to hack it off and use the short v-arm. Thank you.

Thanks for all the replies. I just picked up a used Tormek 2000 with lots of jigs and will probably add the wolverine adapter based on your recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    Bill, that is a great idea. I bought an xtra v arm for the Tormek adapter. I am going to hack it off and use the short v-arm. Thank you.
    I use the short arms too. The only reason I know to have the arms long is when supporting the end of a long handle in the v pocket or skew adapter. I have never used either of these - I sharpen roughing gouges and skews freehand.

When used with the Varigrind the a long arm limits my habit of putting junk, er, tools on the table behind the grinder.

JKJ