Thread: Terminology for electrical part

Terminology for electrical part

I need to find replacements for receptacles that came out of two sconces that I am refinishing. It's the age old problem of trying to look something up without knowing what it is called. It has a metal spring clip that holds it in the hole in the sconce.

TIA

P_20170716_170833.jpg
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I'll have to check the dimensions, but that appears to be the critter.

Thanks so much!
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

How are you using these lights and where are you using them???
    John T.

I am thinking John is asking because.... your plan may be to use them in bathroom over sink area.

According to Code, all recepts in Bathroom have to be GFI protected, AND additional restrictions such as certain clearances from Tubs, etc.

For like ballpark 20 + years now.

Not only Code, but just plain potentially unsafe to the point death by electrocution.

Sounds dramatic, but many many people alive today because of GFI protection.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    I am thinking John is asking because.... your plan may be to use them in bathroom over sink area.

According to Code, all recepts in Bathroom have to be GFI protected, AND additional restrictions such as certain clearances from Tubs, etc.

Not only Code, but just plain potentially unsafe to the point death by electrocution.

Marc
    Amen to what Marc said. It's just stupid to not use GFCI in "wet" places such as a bathroom, kitchen or outdoors. People can, and do, get killed by electricity in those situations. I'm just thankful that we have GFCI now.

When I was a kid, a workman was working under a house and the drill he was using (metal frame drill back then) shorted out and he was killed. He was lying on wet earth. With GFCI all he would have noticed was that the drill stopped working. He wouldn't even have felt the electricity that flowed through him to trip the GFCI. But there was no GFCI back then.

There was no such thing as "double insulated" back then either.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-24-2017 at 1:21 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post

Marc

Or outside
    John T.