Thread: Osage see-through HF

Osage see-through HF

I have had this gnarly chunk of Osage for several years but did not have a plan for it. Still did not have a plan but turned it anyway today. I am happy that it mostly stayed together (I had to remove a section when it began to make the telltale "clicking" sound). I did not believe it would survive being reversed, so I carved away the section that had been attached to a face-plate. It is just over 10" diameter and is finished with tung oil. Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That piece would have had that telltale clicking sound while it was still on my shelf Dennis. Quite a save indeed and a real accomplishment keeping it together. Wow factor in spades.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Blog Entries
    I love it!

You really went all out on that piece--very good.

Dennis,
    I'm surprised that piece didn't blow up. Very nice piece indeed.

See Through!!!!!!!!! Barely there would be more like it. Great piece. I like the shape. Glad you got it finished. The OO is hard wood for sure. I think I still have a piece of Osage Orange you gave me about 8 or 9 years back that I had turned (almost beat me to death), exposing ant nest in hollow center, and need to do some carving or shaping the rim area but keep putting aside. Guess this is a little jab to go finish it. Just don't look for finished piece at SWAT this year.

I've had much more solid pieces of Osage blow up just looking at them. I'm glad you and the piece survived.
    Last edited by Doug Herzberg; 07-17-2017 at 2:40 PM.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Beautiful work!

I did a similar piece last year from a holly stump. After I got the outside done and sanded I wrapped it in several layers of packing cellophane and it held together very well. My only dislike about that method is that if you wrap it tightly it can cause the edges to pull inward when the wood gets thin enough. But it does keep it from flying apart.