Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting out with chisels, hand planes, saws, etc...

Everybody has their own technique for sharpening chisels - including me. I have a web page where I explain how I sharpen - you can see it here.

I wanted a technique that was fast and reasonably priced. I went down a number of paths before I got to the one I use now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasin Haroon View Post
    I would disagree with Frederick on calling Veritas mid-level for planes - you'll find no appreciable difference in quality between their's and LN. Mid level would be a Luban or Wood River plane.
    You're right Hasin. Mid-level was a poor choice of words. Mid-priced (for the range of new planes I've purchased) is really what I was thinking - priced between Wood River and LN. For the record, I have several Veritas planes and I agree there's "no appreciable difference in quality between their's and LN".

Craig, I have two Wood River bench planes. They are a very good quality knock-off of the LN. You can get them on sale from Woodcraft a couple times each year. They are worth the money, IMO.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-16-2017 at 11:45 PM.

You might like to look at one of my build along threads, and see what some of my users look like.

Afraid though, I am on almost zero budget for tools in my shop...don't have the extra funds for new tooling, need that kind of cash for rent and utilities....when a plane costs more than my monthly rent?

I usually find that is what a tool can do is more important the how much it cost. I spent a lot of time over the years, finding tools that worked FOR me in what I was doing. however..you do NOT need to have $1000s wrapped up in tools to be a good woodworker.....it is in how well YOU use the tools.

Very true about the price points Frederick!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Shewmake View Post
    ...Is there a good set of basic chisels that are popular with hobbyists?...
    I wouldn't know what is popular with hobbyists, and wouldn't care. But, having been a woodworking professional for over 40 years I would recommend a small, basic set of Japanese chisels, a low angle block plane and a jack by Stanley or Record, at least a Japanese Razor saw, to start, and a couple water stones. Or equivalent. Check out "The Japan Woodworker" store. But also watch for deals on used equipment in excellent condition.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Shewmake View Post
    I also have some quality hand tools i.e. RO Sander, Jigsaw, and loose tenon mortiser.
    Describing those as "hand tools" on the neander forum is trolling of the first order... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For chisels, many people say good things about the Narex chisels. Otherwise, if you want to go top-of-the line, buy just a couple of the Lee Valley PM-V11 chisels and fill in later as you need them.
    I have both the Narex bench chisels and the PM-V11 LVs. They both work well, with the LVs having a few advantages:

• In my experience PM-V11 hones to a finer edge and is more durable and abrasion-resistant.
    • The LVs require less preparation work. LV laps their blades after hardening, which means that they come dead flat and finely finished. The Narex chisels are ground before hardening like most cheaper tools, and every so often you get one that takes a fair amount of work to even get the first ~inch of the back flat.
    • The LVs are more finely made, with side bevels extending all the way to the back. For me this wasn't such a huge advantage since I'm comfortable refining the side bevels on a belt grinder (and have done so with my Narex chisels). If you're not into that sort of thing then it might matter though.

Of course the LVs have one particularly painful drawback, namely that they cost ~5X as much :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If you're going to do a lot of mortises by hand, you probably want to get some pigsticker chisels. You can find very good antique ones on eBay. Again, you don't need many.
    He's got a Domino for that. It was on his list of "hand tools" that he already owns :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Planes? Hold your breath - new ones cost real money. Veritas is middle of the road and very respectable. Get one of their #4's (a good size to start with for many kinds of work) - it sells just under $300.
    The Veritas "classic 4" is $220 and a great value in a new plane IMO. The $290 Custom #4 has what most people would probably consider better aesthetics, but unless you actually plan to customize it won't do anything more (or better) than the older one. I have both, of course :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Describing those as "hand tools" on the neander forum is trolling of the first order... :-)
    My bad.

I was just meaning "other than my big machines". Maybe hand held machinery?
    Last edited by Craig Shewmake; 07-17-2017 at 3:56 AM.

The gradual acquisition of tools that suit your woodworking will ensure less wasted money and wasted space in your workshop.

There is a 'leap of faith' in a tool purchase, the guidance here is useful. Narex chisels for example are great value and after you 10 hours or more into the set honing them they are very usable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I usually find that is what a tool can do is more important the how much it cost. I spent a lot of time over the years, finding tools that worked FOR me in what I was doing. however..you do NOT need to have $1000s wrapped up in tools to be a good woodworker.....it is in how well YOU use the tools.
    Steve, that's my experience; better tools have not made me a better woodworker . . . but it has made me poorer and happier

I only had one chisel and it worked fine but I used it for all kinds of things including cutting off nails when the carpet was pulled exposing the terrazo underneath. When I tried pulling the nails the terrazo would break up around it. So I used my chisel.

I bought a set of Narex several months ago and really like them. I'm not well-versed enough in chisels to really have an opinion and have no experience with others to compare.

They sharpen easily and stay sharp a long time. I was looking for quality and when I was looking they seemed the most economical for a competent chisel.

This is the set I bought (they were closer to $90 at the time) and I would buy them again even at their current price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Narex-Republi...=narex+chisels

(Personal opinion): I wouldn't spend $100. This 4-chisel bench set will do you fine until you wish to upgrade.

I liked the idea of the Narex to start out with also, but I paid another $10 to have the more attractive (in my opinion) handles.

https://www.amazon.com/Narex-Premium...=narex+chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    The Veritas "classic 4" is $220 and a great value in a new plane IMO. The $290 Custom #4 has what most people would probably consider better aesthetics, but unless you actually plan to customize it won't do anything more (or better) than the older one. I have both, of course :-).
    Yup. Looks like my search for "#4" on their website brought up the custom plane. So it's cheaper still. Even better.