Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shop safety - got nailed with a broken bowl today

I am curious as to where the recess was compared to where the center piece split off. Wondering if the expansion of the chuck magnified the pressure where it split...had a close call with that once and now use tenons only since...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bistritz View Post
    I am curious as to where the recess was compared to where the center piece split off. Wondering if the expansion of the chuck magnified the pressure where it split...had a close call with that once and now use tenons only since...
    Yes I'm sure that was a significant part of the failure. The bottom of the bowl was considerably thinner than I'd expected and the main break happened about 3/4" off the center of the recess.

Well, glad you are ok. I am no expert but i always keep an eye on the bottom making sure its 1. not too thick and clunky. and 2. it doesnt become a funnel...plus it just feels better when they are even. I use a Veritas Thickness Caliper...dont think a link is allowed but its on their website...i have the large one and use it all the time...hope this helps a little...no more surprises!!!! Get better soon!!!!!

Take It from someone with only one eye always wear a face shield and use a good one not the cheap flimsy ones. The loss can happen literly in the wink of an eye.