Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

17 July 2017

Good Morning / Evening Everyone,
    It's been a really hard week at the day job and it seems that I can't hold out cutting firewood in the 90+ temps with high humidity any more either. I didn't last 2 hours cutting firewood and loading the trailer with the newly cut green wood. It was heavy enough that each piece took 2 of us to roll them up and onto the bed of the trailer. I must remind myself that I'm not 18 years old any more.!

This weekend was a celebration of my 1st granddaughter's birthday....she turned 1 year old. It was nice to watch her grow and open gifts with such surprise. I think I'll spoil her some more at another time. Been having to work on things around the house and the LOML and I did a fast re-upholstery job on Monday night and Tuesday night. We redid the arms of a leather couch with new upholstery. It was easy enough to do that we had all the work and upholstery done by Wednesday morning. Now it's back to working on the old antique chair that we've been working on off and on for the past 7 months. It looks like we just may have it ready to go back to the owner by the end of the week....but here's to hoping all goes well for the final upholstery work on this chair. I'm way past ready for this one to be done.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Got married.

Kept cleaning up following the re-roof, still have parts of pergola everywhere that the building inspector made us take down because the idiots who used to live here never had a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Got married.
    No shop time?

Seriously...congratulations.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    No shop time?

Seriously...congratulations.
    Actually, the morning of and 2 hours before, I had to load and unload some stuff.

I finished restoring my 1976 Powermatic 30 disc/belt sander.

image.jpg

Actually, the morning of and 2 hours before, I had to load and unload some stuff.
    Congrats! Was the new bride upset you did shop time in your tux?

Got married.
    Congratulations!!!

----

After traipsing around the area for another hydraulic hose on Saturday (dude who makes them for me normally wasn't available) I spent most of the weekend moving and laying out 22 tons of stone to pretty much complete the driveway parking area widening project I've been working on so that The Princess's vehicle is less likely to constrict traffic coming and going...including the big brown truck and it's alternatively colored cousins. The only thing remaining is installing the red stone "mulch" in the planting beds...which I can't do until I have the space freed up for it to be delivered to. There will be a follow-on to this project when I replace the aging retaining wall at the front of the main parking area...'just need the funds for the materials and the time to do it.

I also mowed the lawn. Next weekend, we are likely going to be extracting honey for the first time...which is exciting.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Got married.
    Congrats, Darcy!

And what a coincidence - I attended someone else's wedding this weekend

Almost finished with my cherry and fir bookcase. I put a final coat of ruby shellac on the exposed cherry frame pieces just this morning and will follow up with a final waxing after that's had time to cure.

We put our house on the market a little over a week ago in the hopes of being able to downsize our house while upsizing our acreage. We haven't received any offers yet but then we haven't found any property that's suitable for our needs, so all is good. Plus, this time of the year is typically slow for home sales, so I should have time to continue packing up the shop and getting ready for a move.

Got married.
    And you are online on Monday morning??? No honeymoon? Congratulations.

I had no shop time other than picking up some supplies.

But I was working as a driver for the Northwoods Jeep Jamboree Friday and Saturday. For each trail, they have a lead guide with a driver and a 'tailgunner' with a driver. I was the driver for the lead guide on one of the two hardest trails. Friday's outing was the first time I was on those particular trails, and the guide only got lost once... We ended up doing one section backwards, so that was interesting. What was even more interesting was figuring out the way his Jeep went through the obstacles. I have a 2-door 98 Wrangler, and he has a 4-door 2013 Wrangler. Longer and wider, so there were some adjustments to make.

Finally got back to the marquetry panel for the door of a small cabinet. The veneer on the first panel I made warped horribly when I glued it up. I tried to sand the wrinkles out but ended up sanding through to the substrate. This time I will use hide glue instead of PVC. On the photo below, you can see the bare spots to the right of the yucca flower and one to the left of the leaf on the bottom left. I suppose the wrinkling was a blessing in disguise - the new panel is better in every way - so far.

Yucca-smaller.jpg
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Saturday sprayed drawer fronts and backs with General Finishes waterborne Enduro Var. Installed Sunday morning and late afternoon but ran out of washer head cabinet screws so some additional realignment is required. Overall reasonably pleased. Cut the veneers and vacuum laminated using epoxy to MDF. The top strips are "end grain" and sides are strips. Next up - gap the reveals, varnish the bottom frame strip, add legs (polished steel), handles and mirror frames.

Attachment 364022Attachment 364023
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 07-17-2017 at 4:43 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Honeymoon in October. Driving through upstate NY, BY, NH, Maine and hitting Salem before we head back.

IMG_20170717_145112_573.jpg

So great to share that day with my kids.

Congratulations Darcy.................Rod.