Thread: Big Honkin' Auger Bits

Big Honkin' Auger Bits

Hi All - in recently bought a box of assorted auger bits. Among them were a few big uns - 24/16, 32/16 and 40/16. They are all square tanged. The 40/16 was made by Greenlee - I'll have to double check on the others and get a few photos.

Googling about, I was not able to find other examples of bits this large. Are they unusual, or am I just looking in all the wrong places?

I've got two big ones (a 2" and not sure of the others size). To my limited knowledge, they're "barn" augers but guess they could be used on any project. My two inch still has the original "T" handle for it. Can't answer the unusual aspect.

Even in a 14" brace, you'd need Popeye to bore holes with those!

Maybe for one of these?
    beam augers 3.jpg
    Depending on which model you use. Beam machines

Boring machine bit shanks are usually round (1/2" diameter) with a flat for a set screw. Your large square-shank bits could be used in a 14-inch brace, but they would be much easier to use with an adjustable auger T-handle. These handles have a square holder in the center that can be opened by twisting one of the handles - you put the bit in and twist the handles back tight, then they work like a regular T-auger. I've got a broken one around here somewhere if you want a picture...

I have not seen many loose bits as large as you've got (plenty that are permanently handled). They were likely done in by electric drills with spade bits or Forstners - even with an 18" T-handle, a 2-inch bit is a lot to turn.
    Karl

Blog Entries
    Hi Clark and welcome to the Creek.

The larger sizes are not common, but the sizes up to ~24/16 are not rare.

Expanding bits are an easier way to have the right size without having to carry a heavy box of bits.

One of the problems with searching for such items is the information is usually in the pages of catalog .pdf files people have uploaded. Google won't find the content of the file, just the catalog name.

Here is one page from a 1911 Sargent catalog:

From 1911 Sargent Catalog.jpg

That came from:

http://www.roseantiquetools.com/id141.html

The site was slow coming up. That surprised me as I thought the link had vanished.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks all - I'll put up some pictures when I get home from work so you can see 'em for yourself. They aren't as long as the examples you've shown, but I suspect the application for beam mortises is correct.

Blog Entries
    I use hole saws on larger bores.

I have a wooden box with 13 Irwin bits that was my Daddy's. I have all sizes from #2 thru #16.
    This is a gloat. They are 50 years old and very sharp.

I also have three different braces to use.

OK - here they are. 16/16 Jennings bit included for scale... All are made by Greenlee.

As you can see, what they lack in length, they make up for in girth.

http://imgur.com/a/nfbgB

On further reflection, their stubbiness might make them not exactly ideal for boring mortises in big ol' barn timbers.
    Last edited by Clark Case; 07-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Some tee handles were outfitted with ratchet chuck in a fair variety of design, so there are options outside of boring machines and braces. Compact bits such as those could be useful for a plumber or steamfitter for running pipe through joist.

Nifty - I just looked on eBay and there's one for sale - one of the handle can be put either horizontally or vertically presumably to help to get into tight spots.