Thread: Making an URN, should I add a plaque?

Making an URN, should I add a plaque?

I am making an urn for a friend's Mother (as in to hold the Mother's remains). I was thinking about adding a plaque, but I know nothing about plaques. I was thinking about having some brass engraved, was thinking something like:

1. In Loving Memory
    2. Person's Name
    3. Dates

Is that something that someone on the creek might be able to do (I can post it to the classifieds), I don't even know how to find someone that would do that sort of thing.

OK, now on to the URN itself. The first question, size. The remains were delivered in a bag, in a tin, in a cardboard box. I decided to make a box that would hold the existing tin. I could have made a smaller box if I make id large enough for simply the bag. I can still do that by pulling the bag from the tin and then simply cutting the bottom of the box if that is decided.

Mahogany was requested. I chose African Mahogany. I toyed with the idea of using 45 degree miters so that the box would be seamless all the way around (I used one piece of wood). I decided to use dovetails. In this image, I am cutting the pin board. I like the height provided by the Moxon vise.

URN_01_IMG_20170630_204403.jpg
    So, any gullible sorts believe that it fit right off the saw? I normally would have made that wood thinner, but I left it thick. Still don't know if that was a good or a bad decision. I decided that it would take more abuse thick.
    URN_02_IMG_20170630_205518.jpg

URN_03_IMG_20170708_184004.jpg

I decided that I should use some oak for the top and the bottom. I cut a dado for the top then a rabbit so that the top would be flush with the sides. The bottom is cut beveled on the edges, I think it makes it look better.

I am currently applying Waterlox Original finish, I will post a picture of that latter.

I had the same question when I made one for my aunt last year. In the end I didn't add one. It was going to appear in public for one hour and then be buried.

I took exactly that same info for the two urn boxes I made to a local laser engraver shop. They charged me ~ $15 each IIRC, and only took a few days.

There are also laser engravers listed in our Friends of the Creek directory.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-17-2017 at 1:47 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think if you ask someone if they want to be bagged ...they will say "no". Would not add a plaque without being asked to.
    Would not even use plastic bag when scattering ashes, your loved one would not want you to be arrested for littering.

Andrew, that certainly is good looking and I think you could urn a living making them!

About the plaque, I think that the requester should make that decision. My mother in law sat on the shelf for years and we knew exactly who was in there.
    Last edited by Rick Malakoff; 07-17-2017 at 12:41 PM.

I am waiting to hear from my friend if I should have a plaque made or not.... If yes, I will search through our "friends" list.

Urn a living making these? nice!

Blog Entries
    Check with local sports supply shops. Many of them use engraving services for sports memorabilia.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Andrew,

I've gotten plaques from https://www.usbrassshop.com/ for commemorative projects. Turn around was fast and it was way cheaper than the local places in Columbus. Things remembered for example charges per character rather than by the word or line.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

Thanks for the tip Jason.

It is finished

I used Waterlox original. My friend asked that I add a plaque, so I did.

URN_Finished.jpg

I used brass screws for the base.

URN_Base_Finished.jpg

I used special washers

URN_Washer.png

I thought they added a nice touch.

Looks like a stylish place to spend eternity. Nice work Andrew!
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

I did a double size box for my parents. I inlaid it with pieces of wood from buildings and trees from the property where the lived for 60+ years that would have had special meaning for them. I think the plaque I got also came from US Brass, he did a really nice job, adding some scrollwork at my request. The sides were made from single pieces of wood to look continuous when closed. I used very small brads in pre-drilled holes to close the box.

IMG_0998.jpg IMG_0999.jpg

very nice....

Andrew, a most excellent job!
    Rodger also fantastic and I like that you incorporated wood from the homestead.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I did a double size box for my parents. I inlaid it with pieces of wood from buildings and trees from the property where the lived for 60+ years that would have had special meaning for them. I think the plaque I got also came from US Brass, he did a really nice job, adding some scrollwork at my request. The sides were made from single pieces of wood to look continuous when closed. I used very small brads in pre-drilled holes to close the box.

IMG_0998.jpg IMG_0999.jpg
    Roger,
    Absolutely spot on! The inlay work is not only beautiful but has great relevance. The entire piece is gorgeous, well executed and finished appropriately. This shows respect and reverence for the function and the craft. Kudos sir.
    Respectfully - Bill