Thread: took apart 3 phase motor. Rotor and Stator are worn. Wondering if its OK?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

took apart 3 phase motor. Rotor and Stator are worn. Wondering if its OK?

I just bought this 7.5hp motor to use as an idler for the rpc I am building. It spun smoothly and each pair of windings showed open when checked against each other pair. There was a very light tick I could hear when spinning that I thought was a bearing. Took it apart and was kinda shocked at how caked the compacted sawdust was on the windings around the outside by the venting. The pic is after a considerable amount of blowing with compressed air.

The surfaces of the rotor and stator didn't have sawdust but there are wear spots. I though it might be from compacted sawdust clumps getting in between and causing wear. The stator pics are the same wear section a different distance. One rotor pic shows the wear and the other close up pic shows the depth of the wear from the side.

I am still waiting for the control panel I ordered to arrive, so I can't hook it up yet, and did not see it run. Paid $80 for it. If the wear will cause any problems then I am included to bring it back to the guy. I would just hook it up and see what happens but I have no idea if this much wear is really bad or a normal thing.

DW
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dustin wassner; 07-17-2017 at 11:59 AM.