Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lie Nielsen Bronze Planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    It's a well known fact that Lie-Nielsen's fascination with massive bronze bench planes was inspired by Sir Planes-A-Lot's 1992 hit, 'Galoot's Got Heft'
    Must have been a local hit! I'm surprised someone hasn't taken the song The Rain in Spain Fall Mainly in the Plain and made it into The Planes From Maine...

I've got a Wood River manganese bronze beavertail block plane. It makes a good desk decoration but I also use it. It works as good as it looks. If I had the loot I would spring for a LN manganese bronze plane of one sort or another. Of course I'm going to make fun of anyone who buys one. Am I jealous? Oh no, no, no, no,,,

Yes.

-Tom

Blog Entries
    If I had the loot I would spring for a LN manganese bronze plane of one sort or another.
    Two of my Three LN planes are ones that cost less than the same model made by Stanley, a #1 & a #62. The #1 is bronze and is a joy to use when the work calls for it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Has any other manufacturer made bronze planes?
    Steve,

Although now long out of business, both Norris and Spiers made bronze planes in addition to steel during the heyday of British infill planemaking. I think the soles of those planes were usually (always?) steel. I can't remember if Henley Optical Plane Co. offered any in bronze during their brief planemaking period a few decades ago.

And considering the potential useful lifespan of a good hand tool (centuries, even), rust proof is, IMO, a real benefit.

I am pretty sure if L-N made a #8 in bronze, someone would buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sidener View Post
    At that point you should just go completely over the top and get somebody like Sauer & Steiner to make you a humongous infill jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sidener View Post
    +1. They would.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    At that point you should just go completely over the top and get somebody like Sauer & Steiner to make you a humongous infill jointer.
    I hope you realize. I said someone, not me. I don't have the wallet or biceps for it.

In Oct. of 94 I purchased from LN the bronze #9 mitre plane. Tried it out once, just didn't like the feel of it in my hands. Put in my tool cabinet, been there ever since. Bought the LV mitre plane this last free shipping, should be here tomorrow.
    Chet

I have the bronze No.4 and truly love it.

Another advantage to bronze that hasn't been mentioned is that bronze is significantly more shock resistant than steel. You probably won't notice this advantage unless you accidentally knock the plane off your bench. Iron can crack fairly easily - bronze motors on.