Thread: More Blue Pine

More Blue Pine

One more from the Iowa pine tree I picked up a few years ago. This required a lot of sanding and it shows. C&C appreciated.

IMG_5132.jpgIMG_5140.jpgIMG_5142.jpgIMG_5143.jpgIMG_5144.jpg

12" x 5.25" Watco Danish Oil, WOP
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

WOW Love the colors, shape and finish!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Awesome job, looks great!
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

I’d say all the work is worth it, it is a beauty, just like Sid says, Love the colors shape and finish, well done
    Have fun and take care

Great looking piece. Nice form, color and finish. The knots really add to it.
    I've never heard of "blue pine" is that a real species of pine or is it a pine that has been infected with the pine beetle?

Beautiful! I have a small stash of blue pine, I suppose I should put some on the lathe.

Beautiful. Well worth the fffort
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Real nice and like other said, the colors are outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Great looking piece. Nice form, color and finish. The knots really add to it.
    I've never heard of "blue pine" is that a real species of pine or is it a pine that has been infected with the pine beetle?
    It's the beetle kill, Daryl. The stains originally look blue, but they turn black with age and with some finishes.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks Doug. We had a widespread pine beetle infestation several years ago. Pretty much wiped the SYP out in my area. Unfortunately I wasn't a "turner" then.
    I keep going back to your bowl, I love everything about it especially the shape. I may have to "try" and make a copy of it out of a piece of Ambrosia Maple.

Looking really nice in all aspects. I am in agreement with the others. Blued pine is pretty common here. Yours is lovely.
    C&C WELCOME

And they say Pine is trash wood not worth turning. You sure showed them wrong. Lots of good things there with the color, knots, grain, ........ Very nice work and finish also.

Great day thats pretty!!!!!!!