Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Narrow hand tool shop

You need some space on each end of the bench (the plane has to start and finish somewhere) but the issue I have had with a 6' bench is trying to prepare longer stock. The stock really needs to be supported in its entirety if you are trying flatten and square it. If part of it is hanging off the end, it will want to flex, you will have trouble figuring out a way to hold it properly, etc. If someone is sure they are never going to try to build a dining room table, a long sitting bench, a bed, a tall shelf, etc., then by all means they do not need a longer bench. Likewise if you are doing most of the preparation with power tools. But trying to do any significant preparation of longer stock with hand tools it will be difficult if you have two or three feet hanging off the bench.

Bench length is an interesting topic.

I suppose that, given the space, one will want to build as big as one can. 8 foot? I'd love the space to have a bench that length.

My previous bench, up until 5 years ago, was just 5 foot. I used it for 20 years. It was subject to many modifications over the years - changing vises and adding stops, etc. It was lightly built and clamped it to the wall for rigidity. While small by most standards, it survived many builds, and some of them large.

My current bench, a Roubo-style, was built 5 years ago. It is 6'6" long and 22" wide, and set 12" away from the wall. It is extremely heavy, being Jarrah and Oak, and it is not viable to move it back-and-forth. The point is, one either has a bench against the wall, or out from the wall. Do not expect to move it back-and-forth, especially if you build storage underneath.

Oskar, I probably have as much working space as you will have when working with hand tools. I have a double garage, but there machines shoehorned into half (my car still needs to park in the garage at night as it is a ragtop). The bottom line is this - build bigger if you are able, but I have not felt restricted by the size of my bench or the limits of the space around it. I have built a fair number of medium-large pieces of furniture.

What makes a difference is that the space works for you. I have a dedicated area for sharpening - not only my stones, but a grinder as well. I can leave the stones up and ready. I do not have to tidy a space on the bench for a tray that is kept under the bench. I have an area where I can use a shooting board or a sharpen a saw without disturbing the bench. I keep the workspace tidy - all the time. I avoid tripping over shavings, tools, and offcuts. I store tools at arms length, mostly on the wall, and this keeps them off the bench as well. I do wonder how much space on the average 8 foot bench is available to use, and how much is "storage".

To the left:

To the right:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pat. I don't have any strict plan on what to build on my bench and in my shop. But I want it capable of building many things, not just boxes and hope not to feel limited by my use of shop space or the size of the bench.

To start with I will not install an end or tail vise. And yes, rough cutting of boards might or will happen outside of the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    You need some space on each end of the bench (the plane has to start and finish somewhere) but the issue I have had with a 6' bench is trying to prepare longer stock. The stock really needs to be supported in its entirety if you are trying flatten and square it. If part of it is hanging off the end, it will want to flex, you will have trouble figuring out a way to hold it properly, etc. If someone is sure they are never going to try to build a dining room table, a long sitting bench, a bed, a tall shelf, etc., then by all means they do not need a longer bench. Likewise if you are doing most of the preparation with power tools. But trying to do any significant preparation of longer stock with hand tools it will be difficult if you have two or three feet hanging off the bench.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with preparing long boards. As previously noted, I'd like to be able to build long/high stuff when I feel like it, hence I still feel like my original plan for a long bench is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    My biggest complaint with my current bench is that I made it too short (6'). When I build another (provided some spare time at some future unknown point) it will be 8' long and 22" wide.

You might consider using a planing beam and heavy saw horses rather than a bench. You can knock the assembly down and move it out of the way if you need the space temporarily. A bench can be moved as well, but not as easily, especially so in the current trend of 6" thick bench tops.
    Brian, thank you for adding your thoughts. I started dreaming of a bigger and better planing beam than my current one. Then I wanted to add holes for holdfasts. Then I thought a lot about how to attach the beam to the horses in a sturdy way. And how I would plane panel edges. You see where its going; my plan was suddenly a pretty classic workbench. I'm attracted to the thought of a very solid work surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Oskar, I probably have as much working space as you will have when working with hand tools. I have a double garage, but there machines shoehorned into half (my car still needs to park in the garage at night as it is a ragtop). The bottom line is this - build bigger if you are able, but I have not felt restricted by the size of my bench or the limits of the space around it. I have built a fair number of medium-large pieces of furniture.

What makes a difference is that the space works for you. I have a dedicated area for sharpening - not only my stones, but a grinder as well. I can leave the stones up and ready. I do not have to tidy a space on the bench for a tray that is kept under the bench. I have an area where I can use a shooting board or a sharpen a saw without disturbing the bench. I keep the workspace tidy - all the time. I avoid tripping over shavings, tools, and offcuts. I store tools at arms length, mostly on the wall, and this keeps them off the bench as well. I do wonder how much space on the average 8 foot bench is available to use, and how much is "storage".

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, thanks again for sharing your thoughts. This is what I need to find out, how to use the room in way that suits me and my work.

I've been reading this thread, and learned a lot, so thanks to everyone involved.
    Oskar, I don't have a shop, or to put it more correctly, my shop is my back yard.. So room is not an issue. But I still chose a 5 foot bench, mainly because I was limited by my supply of wood. But also because I had no clue what I might be building, and no practical idea of what I wanted or needed in a bench. I thought, keep it simple; just a simple bench. I can get into specifics with my next bench, after I've had the experience to know what I really need.
    If I were you and could swing it, I'd build a simple, reasonably small bench from inexpensive wood(pine construction lumber?), 5 or 6 ft., and work it for a few months. Save the good wood to build a permanent bench, after you know what you need and what working in the space you have dictates.
    MHO, and I know I'm a new guy, but that would be my approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    I've been reading this thread, and learned a lot, so thanks to everyone involved.
    Oskar, I don't have a shop, or to put it more correctly, my shop is my back yard.. So room is not an issue. But I still chose a 5 foot bench, mainly because I was limited by my supply of wood. But also because I had no clue what I might be building, and no practical idea of what I wanted or needed in a bench. I thought, keep it simple; just a simple bench. I can get into specifics with my next bench, after I've had the experience to know what I really need.
    If I were you and could swing it, I'd build a simple, reasonably small bench from inexpensive wood(pine construction lumber?), 5 or 6 ft., and work it for a few months. Save the good wood to build a permanent bench, after you know what you need and what working in the space you have dictates.
    MHO, and I know I'm a new guy, but that would be my approach.
    Hi Mike, thanks for your comment! I agree with you to keep it simple, and not expensive. I can't afford fancy timber for my bench. But I'll build it to the size I want and I think it will stand strong for a long time.

Oskar, I am also tall and worked with a similar arrangement. I encourage you to be thoughtful about the ceiling space. I got tremendous use from it. One suggestion, to avoid rearranging things... fit small items in small spaces. Reserve the long, free spaces for larger things you have yet to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    Oskar, I am also tall and worked with a similar arrangement. I encourage you to be thoughtful about the ceiling space. I got tremendous use from it. One suggestion, to avoid rearranging things... fit small items in small spaces. Reserve the long, free spaces for larger things you have yet to acquire.
    Thanks for your advice Bill! I really look forward to get the key to the place and to start setting it all up!

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar Sedell View Post
    Hi all,

looking for advice on using the space in a very small hand tool only shop.
    Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Oskar
    Check out Jim Tolpin's shop. https://www.byhandandeye.com/tour-of...ool-only-shop/
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Thanks John. A shop with a fireplace would be a dream. Maybe in the future!

Thought I should update this thread. I moved a couple a months ago, and have been spending a lot of time making the cellar a usable workspace. Today I finished the workbench, a tusk-tenoned knock-down "roubo" with trestle in beech and a doug fir top. About 7.5' long and 20'' wide. Double planing stops for push and pull planes and a leg vise.

IMG_1428.jpg

sharpening corner:

IMG_1426.jpg

and a panorama view:

IMG_1432.jpg

The working space in front of my bench is about two feet; I can make it work, but three feet would be easier. Maybe if I cleaned up the shop...

This is terrific, Oskar. I had envisioned the workbench on the opposite wall with the tail end next to the door, but this is definitely workable. The window is a bonus. Thanks for getting back to us.