Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free pile of some fir, worth turning?

Thanks folks. I ended up grabbing a couple of pieces. I cut out several blanks, and tossed some because of patches of goup. I ended up with several practice blanks.

Thank you all for your input.

PS. JKJ - do your horses start looking for a treat when you come out of your shop now? I like the carrot work :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    PS. JKJ - do your horses start looking for a treat when you come out of your shop now? I like the carrot work :-)
    Thanks! I think I'll turn a cushaw this year.

cushaw_IMG_20140710_181202_749.jpg

I had one last year I could have turned a 16 bowl from.

Horses are ALWAYS ready for a treat! We limit the hand-fed treats since it can teach them to be grabby and disrespectful. Some people believe giving horses treats will make friends out of them and make the horses love them. Nonsense! Sure they are eager and come running, but horses see people strictly as servers and waiters. Not, "Here he comes! I love that guy." but "Here comes the food. It's about time."

JKJ

John, I've just added "horse translator" to a long list of your talents. And I think any careful viewing of old MISTER ED episodes will back your observation....but in a decidedly less funny fashion!

I was visiting with Dave from D-Way tools a week ago - he showed me a beatiful open-form bowl he had turned from Douglas fir. Turned green, dried with no noticeable warp. It was a tree that grew naturally in a forested area that had not been harvested previously - not from one of the local clearcut plantations. Didn't say, but I got the impression pitch wasn't a problem. I had several good sized Doug firs removed when building the new shop - think I'll have a go at it. Nothing wagered, nothing gained...