Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinning TBIII to increase open time

Thinning TBIII to increase open time

Hi,
    Here in the Southwest, the dry climate causes wood glue to set up very quickly in my experience. I sometimes switch to white Elmers Glue-All for some situations but for structural joints, I feel the TB glues are quite a bit stronger. TB III is already a step up in open time versus TB I or II, but there are times where even it is not enough.

I was thinking about thinning the glue with a "tiny" bit of water to reduce the viscosity some, slow the whole coagulation process and hopefully gain open time. Would anyone recommend for or against this practice? Would I be undermining the strength properties of the glue by doing so? I don't want to gain open time and lose strength.

Thanks
    Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 07-18-2017 at 5:40 PM. Reason: correct typo

I can't tell you the exact scientific tell for what you'd be doing, but I'd try to explain it. By thinning, your reducing the volume of actual adhesive material for any given contact area. It would be like removing every other stitch in a seam, of course out would be weaker. Also, thinning would reduce the volume of your glue line, possibly further reducing the amount of adhesive by causing starvation in spots. Do you happen to own a humidifier?

Stick the bottle of glue in the fridge, this will increase the open time. This was mentioned by TB someplace.

Titebond has an FAQ here: http://www.titebond.com/frequently_asked_questions.aspx a they state you can thin with 5% water.

I think you have it backwards on viscosity. Adding water should thin the glue and lower the viscosity.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I think you have it backwards on viscosity. Adding water should thin the glue and lower the viscosity.
    Bill
    Yikes, you're right I had that backwards. You're a man good, Bill.

Plastic Resin glue is your friend, like Unibond 800. 30-45 minutes of open time depending on temp and humidity.

Two suggestions. Call the Titebond technical helpline and ask......Or just use epoxy glue. Epoxy gives you plenty of open time and fills joints.
    Wood'N'Scout

i put mine in the fridge for a few extra minutes. seems to work.

In the dry winter months I just use a wet rag to dampen the parts or in the case of tenons dip in water and wipe off the excess. The glue is drying fast because the wood is dry, so logic implies that you change that. No problems with strength at all. It gives me just enough time that I can get a complicated door together and still move it to where it needs to be.

There is also a Titebond II Extend.

http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx...3-3bff0a0f71ab

Open Assembly Time
    15 minutes (70°F./50% RH)

Total Assembly Time

20-25 minutes (70°F./50%RH)
    Could you dilute that to extend assembly time? A call to the tech support line seems like a good idea.

Why do you feel TB is stronger? If any glue is stronger than the wood, then even if TB is stronger, why would it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    There is also a Titebond II Extend.

http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx...3-3bff0a0f71ab

Could you dilute that to extend assembly time? A call to the tech support line seems like a good idea.
    I never found the TB-II Extend to provide any more open time than TB-III so I just stick with TB-III. If you need more open time, you need a different kind of adhesive as has been suggested. I wouldn't compromise TB-III by thinning it but that is a personal choice. You might experiment to convince yourself 5% is okay.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'd say monking around with that will give you joint failure. When I have complicated glue-ups. I use tight bond extend. Great for that purpose. Other adhesives could be imployed as well but they come with some nasty PPE requirements. Right glue for the right purpose.

I have used Titebond II Extend since I had a somewhat complicated assembly a couple of years ago. There is not really any downside to using II Extend for most projects. It's weatherproof which I believe means it's as resistant to water as III is (at least the company says so). Plus, it does allow more assembly time. However, if you need double the time you'd get with III, it won't do that; maybe another 10 minutes, depending on environment, temperature, etc.

I don't think I'd dilute it and, if you do, very little. The glue is formulated to be used as is unless you dilute it to use as a sealer for end grain before glue up.