Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinning TBIII to increase open time

Fridge idea I'll have to try. When making a 20" cutting board with like 12 strips, things get Harry when I go to clamp once the last board is glued. I sometimes don't get squeeze out on the first 1-2 strips.

This thread reaffirms what many people think: many things you see on the Internet are garbage.

Whoever says TBIII can't be thinned because it would weaken the joint is talking rubbish. it depends on how much you thin the glue. Many woodworkers are like that, talking about something without any hands-on experience, pretending to be experts on the subject. Sorta armchair generals we see on those TV talk shows. I have used thinned glue (not exclusive to TBIII) for years and have witnessed not one single joint failure. Sometimes I use thinned glue not for its longer open time but for getting into thin splits.

I have done this thinning even before knowing about the 5% recommendation on the TB FAQ.

Simon

Just curious, does thinning the glue 5% make much of a difference in open or assembly time? Since that was the original question, it would be nice to know if that makes a significant difference to know whether it is worthwhile to do. Since Titebond II Extend already gives extended open time with water resistance (based on my use and a response from Titebond). For me, that has been the answer to this point for getting longer open and assembly times.

I like to thin tb3 for Hardmaple cutting boards end grain style.Because I don't like a thick glue lines I also speared with a scrap of wood that has notches.
    I also thin tb for curved laminations I like spread the glue with a foam roller so I thinn it down like paint.So I can get both side wet fast and in the form asap.
    Ive done plenty of test pieces and it all good.
    I also avoid glue ups when it hot in the shop
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I also avoid glue ups when it hot in the shop
    I recently tried dampening the mortise before glue up on a hot day. It doesnt extend open time, but it helped to maintain the full open time because the wood didnt swallow up all the moisture. I didnt see any obvious change in joint strength - still seems very strong and solid.