Thread: Amp service for 100 watt Co2

Amp service for 100 watt Co2

Anyone know what amp service I should use for a 100 watt C02 laser. Mine came with the 110/220 converter and I would like ton run a new 220 line from panel and not use the converter. I am thinking I would need a 15 or 20 amp service but not sure. I have search recent post on here about this but did not find anything about how many amps.
    Thanks in advance
    Mitch

Did it come with an exhaust fan and air pump that is also 220/230 volts? Because if its all going on one circuit you need to factor that in.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Can't you see what the rating of the converter is? It should have a name tag that says 110V by X amps in and 220V by X amps out.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Did it come with an exhaust fan and air pump that is also 220/230 volts? Because if its all going on one circuit you need to factor that in.
    Yes they are 110v an I am going to run a separate circuit for them
    Thanks Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    Can't you see what the rating of the converter is? It should have a name tag that says 110V by X amps in and 220V by X amps out.
    It says nothing about amps unless is in Chinese

Ok, what amp 110V circuit were you using it on with the converter? I doubt larger than 15 amp, so at 220V you only need half that, so a 15 amp circuit will be over kill, but I doubt you'd want to run less than that, if there are even smaller breakers than 15 amp, which I doubt.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Standard circuit breakers are 15 amp and on up. I would run a 20 amp 230 volt circuit using #12 wire. You need two hot wires and a green equipment ground. Do a search on here where we have discussed the Chinese vs US 220 (240 volt) issue many times. You do not need that transformer which more than likely a Chinese POS anyway.
    The cost difference between #12 and #14 is only a few cents per foot and the double pole circuit breakers are more or less the same cost. No need to worry about voltage drop or what if I get a larger machine a year from now.
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-19-2017 at 1:02 PM.

European plug have one 220 line coming in not the two that US has.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    European plug have one 220 line coming in not the two that US has.
    It takes two wires to have a complete circuit. Across those two wires is 220 (240 volts). Been discussed on here many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Standard circuit breakers are 15 amp and on up. I would run a 20 amp 230 volt circuit using #12 wire. You need two hot wires and a green equipment ground. Do a search on here where we have discussed the Chinese vs US 220 (240 volt) issue many times. You do not need that transformer which more than likely a Chinese POS anyway.
    The cost difference between #12 and #14 is only a few cents per foot and the double pole circuit breakers are more or less the same cost. No need to worry about voltage drop or what if I get a larger machine a year from now.
    Now the problem is finding the old brown Federal Pacific stab lock 2 pole 20 amp breaker. The place was built probably early 70s or late 60s and I have not had any luck finding the breaker. Any ideas on that would be greatful
    Thanks Mitch

I know exactly what your talking about. Electricians Hate Federal Pacific with a passion. The last one I purchased I got at Menards a few years back, and it was a 2 pole 50 for a sub-feeder going to my shop. If you have plans in the near future to update your panel, now would be the time to go to like a Square D or other well known brand.
    In the meantime I am not sure other than Menards a Midwest big box home improvement store. It looks like Home Depot also carries..... pricey 3x the cost of a Square D! You more than likely want the "thin" one.

A google brought up this > https://www.google.com/search?q=Fede...xtMenu&ie=&oe=

FYI for others world wide wiring > https://www.quantumbalancing.com/wor...ctricityif.htm
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-19-2017 at 2:42 PM.

I found what I need thanks everyone
    Mitch