Thread: Combination Chop saw/Router Table Workstation

Combination Chop saw/Router Table Workstation

I'd like to construct one of these with some area for storage. Has anyone incorporated a router table into a chop saw station?

Advice?

Space is limited in my new shop and I'd like to combine these two. At this point I'm thinking about having the router section on the left and drawers in the middle section and the chop saw be located to the right. I'd like to put a shop vac under the chop saw that could be used for either tool.

That arrangement would mean that I would not be able to stand to the right of the router table. Problem?

I have a chop saw but not the router.

What would you do first? By the router /table and then build around that?

Any problems with this concept?

Thanks,

Mark

How would the router table fence work out?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    How would the router table fence work out?

I've given that some thought Mike. I'm not sure. Would it share the chop saw fence or would the router fence be a removable fence that would attach in front of the chop saw fence.

Are you saying this concept may not work out?

I don't have a lot of experience with router tables so any input would be helpful. Would a separate mobile base work better for the router setup. Maybe incorporate it into the chop saw station somehow?

Mark

You'd likely need a removable, dedicated fence for the router station portion...the fence for the miter saw is generally fixed in an exact position to insure accuracy.

The biggest part of this decision is thinking about your work habits and if having these two functions in the same place will be complimentary or a bottleneck. For me, I don't use my miter saw all that much during projects...it's primarily to break down longer boards before I mill them to components. Otherwise, that space is available for other activities, such as for my pocket hole jig and, um...temporary storage.

One thing that might help you is if you can offset the two functions horizontally and provide add-on infeed and outfeed support while you are actually using the station for either purpose. In that way, you may be able to do some quick cuts with the miter saw while not tearing down your router setup, etc. Think it through relative to your own work habits and typical project needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark:

Will you workstation be fixed (eg along a wall) or mobile? If mobile, you could run your mitre saw along the longitudinal axis and the router perpendicular. Having the chop saw and the router in two different planes (chop saw higher) would also make things easier if you have to use both tools without having to change settings.

Not sure if this is a workable concept for your needs, but will likely spark other ideas.

I drilled and bushed two holes in my mitre saw station bench so the fence can be removed and put back whenever necessary. It would be possible to have a pivoting router fence that could be removed and replaced, that bit is easy but how would you clamp the moveable end? I like the idea as it saves me building a router table so now I need to think how the fence would work.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening