Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about copyright

Greek symbols as related to Greek organizations are protected. Using a single symbol is not.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If it doesn't have a copyright stamp or watermark then I cannot see how one would determine if there were indeed a copyright on it.

If you just need to know then ask the customer or better yet let them know that you need a signed letter from them assuring you that "All artwork submitted is original design by them or non copyrighted work. It seems that would be reasonable. Otherwise you will only be engraving geometrical shapes....well, at least the ones that aren't already copyrighted.

Anyway, the fine is a minimum of $200 and the court might actually grant you permission to continue to infringe with a fair commission to be paid to the owner.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shawa View Post
    If it doesn't have a copyright stamp or watermark then I cannot see how one would determine if there were indeed a copyright on it.

If you just need to know then ask the customer or better yet let them know that you need a signed letter from them assuring you that "All artwork submitted is original design by them or non copyrighted work. It seems that would be reasonable. Otherwise you will only be engraving geometrical shapes....well, at least the ones that aren't already copyrighted.

Anyway, the fine is a minimum of $200 and the court might actually grant you permission to continue to infringe with a fair commission to be paid to the owner.
    Copyright is granted as soon as the work is made. A trademark must be registered. If the IP holder or agent discovers infringement, you may get a cease and desist, judgment against you, or both. See a few posts prior, where a gentleman stated he was lucky that he only had to pay $5,000 and destroy his inventory. You might reevaluate the last sentence in your post.

-paying a commission to the owner is the definition of NOT infringing ...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

the fine is a minimum of $200 and the court might actually grant you permission to continue to infringe
    The statutory damages alone if the infringement is wilful and for commercial purpose can be up to $150,000 per item.

For reference EU trademarks are not required to be registered, there is a difference between R and TM over here and both are equally valid worldwide.
    You did what !

"The statutory damages alone if the infringement is wilful and for commercial purpose can be up to $150,000 per item."

1. Willful. That is why you get a letter of assurance from customer that the work is un copyrighted.
    2. $200. Yes up to $150,000 but we aren't talking copying a Maserati.
    3. Per "Item". No, it is per not
    each work infringed not each work made
    Also there are the considerations that favor fair use.

1. It is a small amount relative to the market.
    2. Licencing or permissions are unavailable.
    3. Small effect on the market.

Yes, there is one line that scares me in there, the rebel that I am,

1. Infringer pays for all attorneys fees and court costs

Anyway, not to be argumentative and certainly I wouldn't "steal" anyones work to make a profit off of it, but I don't like my hands tied such that I am afraid to do anything because I don't know if it's copyrighted or not.
    You could always just rent them the machine and have them push the start button themselves you are not so sure.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Anyway, not to be argumentative and certainly I wouldn't "steal" anyones work to make a profit off of it, but I don't like my hands tied such that I am afraid to do anything because I don't know if it's copyrighted or not.
    You could always just rent them the machine and have them push the start button themselves you are not so sure.
    It's quite easy to not violate copyright laws. It all depends on who you target as your customers. If you are working flea markets, you'll probably get asked 5 out of 5 times if you can do a Harley logo. If you deal with professionals, then you'll get asked 0 out of 5 times to violate copyright laws.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

"The statutory damages alone if the infringement is wilful and for commercial purpose can be up to $150,000 per item."

1. Willful. That is why you get a letter of assurance from customer that the work is un copyrighted.
    2. $200. Yes up to $150,000 but we aren't talking copying a Maserati.
    3. Per "Item". No, it is per not
    each work infringed not each work made
    Also there are the considerations that favor fair use.

1. It is a small amount relative to the market.
    2. Licencing or permissions are unavailable.
    3. Small effect on the market.

Yes, there is one line that scares me in there, the rebel that I am,

1. Infringer pays for all attorneys fees and court costs

"Copyright law is a “no fault” law. If any one of these exclusive rights are violated, there is no excuses. The reason for the infringement has no merit."

"For any work registered with the U.S Copyright Office prior to an infringement or within three months of the works publication is entitled to statutory damages, which range from a minimum of $750 to a maximum of $30,000 per infringement, the specific amount being determined by the court."

"...intentionally and knowingly violated his or her copyright, then the damage award increases to a range of $30,000 to $150,000 per infringement."

Here's a little reading for you. ^^^

Keep in mind that when you lose in court, you will likely also have to pay legal fees and court costs for the party suing you.

We had a client come in with a coffee table book of photographs that he wanted us to make placemats for his cafe with the cafe logo on the photo. I looked into the rights on the photos. He could use them for his purposes if he paid $5000 royalty fee per photo (there were 30 of them) to use them. He tried to get us to make them without the fee but we explain the law to him. He seemed to understand. A few months later I go there with my mom to have lunch, he had them done online by someone who didn't care about copyrights. The whole cafe has the placemats with the picture he does not have the rights to and his logo emblazoned on it.
    Equipment: Epilog Helix(50W), NewHermes Incorporated Vanguard Laser 2001(25W), Gravograph LS800(30W), GravoGraph GT M40 DV, Ricoh Aflicio SG 7100DN, GeoKnight DK20S
    Software: GravoStyle 5, GravoStyle 8, Adobe Photoshop CS2, CorelDraw
    Business: Engraving, Sublimation, Trophies, Awards

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Misanti View Post
    We had a client come in with a coffee table book of photographs that he wanted us to make placemats for his cafe with the cafe logo on the photo. I looked into the rights on the photos. He could use them for his purposes if he paid $5000 royalty fee per photo (there were 30 of them) to use them. He tried to get us to make them without the fee but we explain the law to him. He seemed to understand. A few months later I go there with my mom to have lunch, he had them done online by someone who didn't care about copyrights. The whole cafe has the placemats with the picture he does not have the rights to and his logo emblazoned on it.
    It'll catch up with them. I remember seeing some guy post some photos of a wrap he did on come company trucks for a client. He was bragging about how awesome it looked. It was all black with skulls all over it and his clients were very happy with it and taking it to all of their events. Then someone realized that the skull images was actually a famous photograph from a pile of skulls in Cambodia, from a war. The original photographer of the photo contacted the guy and told him those skulls were human remains from a war, and not something to used on an advertising campaign. He lawyered up and the guy had to go back to the client and remove the entire wrap and start with a new design. His customers were not happy. The guy disappeared off the forum after that, so I don't know what ever happened, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should, in the case of copyright.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Online, HMMM, Several of those guys are in Canada..... a lot in China, who cares no whit for any of our trademark or copyrite laws.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Questions-- I find a piece of copyrighted art online, I download it, and print it on MY T-shirt for MY use--
    --did I violate copyright law?

Same thing with Trademarks-- Can General Motors or Harley Davidson tell me I can't copy a bowtie or HD shield logo off one of their ads and print it on my own T-shirt?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Questions-- I find a piece of copyrighted art online, I download it, and print it on MY T-shirt for MY use--
    --did I violate copyright law?

Same thing with Trademarks-- Can General Motors or Harley Davidson tell me I can't copy a bowtie or HD shield logo off one of their ads and print it on my own T-shirt?
    Yes, they could tell you that. Are you going to get caught? Not likely. Are they really going to pursue you? Not likely. Still doesn't make it right...

Agreed.How much did you pay for that Steeler's logo? I would never duplicate it on my machine.

Agreed.How much did you pay for that Steeler's logo? I would never duplicate it on my machine.
    You might want to study "Fair Use" before suggesting I'm violating copyright laws by using the Steelers Logo as an Avatar on a forum.

Call my shop and ask if we'll create a Steelers decal for you. The answer is no.