Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery saw...

Mystery saw...

In the form of an older "rip" saw. Search-fu has failed to id the saw's maker, sooo
    IMG_1057 (640x480).jpg
    One: Any idea which maker clipped the saw plate like this? top and bottom?
    IMG_1059 (640x480).jpg
    Two: Bolts that came from the saw...not split nuts.
    IMG_1060 (640x480).jpg
    But they are flat in profile. They are also skinnier than "newer" bolts..
    IMG_1063 (640x480).jpg
    As for the medallion..
    IMG_1061 (640x480).jpg
    It is a sunken one, marked as a Warranted Superior. I refinished the handle, and reset the bolts..
    IMG_1064 (640x480).jpg
    Atkins? Simmonds? This is a nice etch, though
    IMG_1058 (640x480).jpg
    Saw is marked as a 7ppi. 26" long, straight back...but no nib..
    IMG_1066 (640x480).jpg
    Any ideas as to who made "The Farmer" saw?
    Might be worth sharpening up as a user. It only cost $3

One of two saws I cleaned up tonight....the other was a 20"long, 10ppi, D8.....as in the "8" was inside of the "D" on the etch..it was a tad cheaper..at $2.50...
    Any other details needed, to help with the ID?

Blog Entries
    I would file the tooth line smooth, re-tooth it, sharpen and set the teeth. I would probably make a new handle and enjoy the saw. I have three saws that I have done this. I enjoy using them.

You get to make the saw cross cut or rip and fine tooth or course.

I think I have enough saws that I don't need to change a saw's use. I merely grab another saw.
    The "other" saw from tonight's misadventures..
    IMG_1067 (640x480).jpg
    Starting at this end. Handle sanded til the old finish had left the building...replaced with one coat BLO.
    Brass shined up, slots were "clocked" I had removed the handle to clean the plate. Used some Gun Blue Paste to try to bring out the etch a little better..
    IMG_1070 (640x480).jpg
    There is an 8 inside the letter D. pre-1928 Disston D8.

IMG_1068 (640x480).jpg
    20" long, skew back, 10ppi, Panel saw. Needed a couple kinks hammered out, otherwise was in good shape...for $2.50..

Now..IF I can just find out who the maker of that "The Farmer" saw was....
    Ok,try this...the saw was made after split nuts went out of style, but, before the modern large bolts came in...time frame?

Blog Entries
    Dec. 27, 1887 is the date of the saw nut patent (Glover's patent) that brought us the heavier bolts with squared shanks.

Before that my recollection is hazy, the later Domed style nuts were patented August 29, 1876. Disston held the patent.

http://disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-20-2017 at 9:08 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So, I appear to have a saw from about the 1870-1880s....still haven't found out who made this saw. both the nut and the bolt have flat heads,,,nothing is domed shape. Handle is well shaped..for three fingers, the index finger used as a pointer. 1 handed rip?

Just a quiet, little BUMP.....would be nice to know who made this old saw. teeth are in fine shape, too. 1870-1880 era saw maker not known as Disston?

If there are no patent dates on the back side of the nut, that would rule out both Munger and Washbourne patent nuts. Disston, for a time did sand cast a nut that resembled the Glover Patent and to my knowledge, was the only company to do so. They took out a patent on it. They did have slender shanks, and were often broken.

Disston etched saws to order, but the designs didn't show up until the 1914 catalog. Your saw does have the look of other saws that they made, especially with the rounded over router style handle. Very similar to a saw they made called the "Imp". Taking all that into consideration, I'd say the saw was made by Disston, assuming that there are no patent dates on the back of the nuts you have. For those who don't know, the Munger Patent of Dec 2 of 1869 assembled a saw bolt from flat stock using swaging. Washbourne patent of Dec 31, 1867 accomplished the same thing but by brazing. The Disston Patent of Aug 29, 1876 was for the cast nuts with slender shanks. I've only seen the domed variety, but the letters patent do show a flat version. All evidence points to Disston. Letters patent below if someone wants to look them up at the USPTO:

wash.gifdisston.gifmunger.gif

PS. Pictures of the nuts themselves:

washnuts.gifmungernuts.gif
    Last edited by Pete Taran; 07-25-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Thank you....

A few years ago, I had an Imp saw come through the shop...
    rehab handle.jpg
    Except this was a shew back, crosscut version...
    Imp skew back.jpg
    I THINK the etch was readable...been a few years..
    saw plate.jpg
    Seems to be a newer version of the Farmer.....
    Again, thank you Pete!

Blog Entries
    I fail to see that straightening the tooth line and sharpening the saw is changing it's use. I've resurrected two saws without changing their use.

They just cut straight and fast.

I have resurrected over 100 saws....have shortened a couple. Have sent a few out to be sharpened. I have also sharpened quite a few saws. I have yet to bring one into the shop that the first thought would be to change a tooth line, or recut a saw's teeth. Usually just a simple sharpening is all they need. The only "straightening" I do is getting rid of kinks and bows. Currently, there are about 30 saws in the shop. Anything finer than a 7ppi, I will send out, as I am neither set up, nor have the patience to sharpen finer sizes of teeth. have way too many other things to do.....3 out of every 4 saws I have will cut straight, and fast.....the 4th? They are usually scheduled to be sharpened by others, or sold to someone who likes to play with a saw.

The Imp that came through the shop long ago....I THINK was an 8 or 10 pointer. The Farmer was a 7ppi....seems to be sharp enough to do a job....for being 140 years old. I may refresh the teeth, but that is about it. It has quite a bit of set, which is ok, since these saws were never taper ground. I have the kinks and a bend fixed....it may reside in the saw till, until needed.

Blog Entries
    I have a saw that someone literally butchered. It had large jagged tooth line, totally beyond repair.
    I filed the teeth off and re-toothed to 7 tpi crosscut. It now is a pleasant 8 point crosscut saw. I also
    made a new handle for it. I enjoy such projects. As a result I have fifteen handsaws hanging on pegs
    behind my walk around bench. I sand the rust off of the saw plate if needed and hit it with Johnson's
    wax. That stops the corrosion.

I have even done a "Rescue" intervention...from time to time..
    IMAG0138.jpg
    "Diamonds in the Rough"? Quarter a piece, too....( look very closely...there is at least one special saw..)
    IMAG0141.jpg
    Maybe?
    IMAG0140.jpg
    Could be..
    IMAG0143.jpg
    Hmmmm...

Blog Entries
    I also have an eight tpi panel saw with a nib that came to me with three brass Disston saw nuts. The handle was broken, so it has a new maple handle. it is a joy to use.
    I had to file the tooth line smooth and re-tooth the saw. It has a 22" long saw plate. If you go to the Disston Saw Institute, you will see a picture of the saw.
    I do not know if the saw nuts are original to the saw. The holes in the saw plate seem too large.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-28-2017 at 5:07 PM.

nib.jpg
    Nib on one of two No. 7 saws I have in the til..
    etched.jpg
    With etch..
    Disston No.7.jpg
    About 1900 or so?
    Both are 7ppi. There is now a 20" D8 panel saw in the til as well....The "8" is inside the "D" and the saw is a 10 ppi skewback. It joins four other panels saws. One was from a hardware supplier in Cleveland, OH...according the the custom etch that Disston engraved on the plate.

The Farmer seems to be about 1875-1876, Disston took an Imp saw, custom etched it for some unknown customer. May just be a keeper?