Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gap Between the Top of a Kitchen Wall Cabinet and the Bottom of the Soffit

If there's a willingness to change the lighting, the soffits could go away even with that roof pitch...modern LED technologies can be used for very minimal depth situations like that. It's an option...but does cost money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    It may, if you want to keep the outdated look of a mid-century ranch. I didn't. When I did the kitchen, I had my buddy crown the living room and hallway to get rid of the cracks that were showing up at the joint. Looks much nicer now.
    I'm more toward this view. Preservation is good but former dream house bungalows are being rapidly torn down , no market to sell or rent. The ranch has got to "adapt" or "go extinct".

Blog Entries
    I'm not suggesting that every mid-century home needs to be preserved in it's original form. What I am saying is that they should be updated without ignoring what they actually are, they're 'modern' design and so that which makes sense with modern design is more suitable to them than that which does not. Modern, in this context, refers to a design period. Mid-century design falls under the category of 'Modern' and generally refers to post WWII American, Danish and Italian design.

It's not uncommon to see modern design outfitted with contemporary Italian/Danish/Japanese design for that exact reason, the two forms mesh well together. I think that is good advice for someone who is jumping into a remodel.

If you were updating a Craftsman, Victorian, Early American, etc etc, the same respective advice would apply. Consider what you have before making design choices.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I agree with that concept,Brian. But the ranch house was always interpreted in many different ways. I have relatives who had custom ranches built with living rooms and dining rooms drawn up with crown. They saw those rooms as formal,and they were certainly not. But to people who had been brought up in old farm houses with lots of siblings ,an indoor bathroom with a door was "formal". And even F.L. Wright couldn't always get people to behave in "his houses"!
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 07-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.

I wish I could get rid of my soffits, I looked in there and it's a mess of plumbing and wiring. They make the kitchen feel cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Keller View Post
    I wish I could get rid of my soffits, I looked in there and it's a mess of plumbing and wiring. They make the kitchen feel cramped.
    I guess you wouldn't enjoy the 6'10" ceiling in our kitchen. LOL (It's not level, either)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I guess you wouldn't enjoy the 6'10" ceiling in our kitchen. LOL (It's not level, either)
    My last house was 9' 8" in the kitchen. That was awesome and opened up a lot of opportunities.

Even at 5'11", I'd feel "short" in that kitchen, Martin, as compared to our, um...lofty...6'10" kitchen ceiling. When that section of this house was built sometime in the 1950s (based on the balloon construction), the ground floor ceiling was matched to the 6'10" ceiling height of the 250 year old stone section it's next to. It makes sense, but when we first bought the property in 1999, there were fake beams on the kitchen ceiling and merely trying to take off a coat could result in something ranging from a simple bruise to splinters. LOL I ripped those suckers out when I renovated it in 2003.

BTW, beautiful cabinetry!!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    BTW, beautiful cabinetry!!
    The upside to owning a cabinet shop. You can build anything you twisted little brain desires.

I did learn from that house that if I ever build a house, great lengths will be taken to get a 10' ceiling in the kitchen. Bigger crown, deeper beams, and a deeper profile on the panels. I'd also just sheet the ceiling in plywood so you can screw anywhere.

I only lived in that house for a few years, had I thought it would've been more permanent, I would stepped it up a notch on everything woodwork. At a certain point you have to step back and go; "what am I doing putting all this effort into this dump?"