Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on treasure chest

Opinions on treasure chest

I making a treasure chest for my new great nephew. I'm making a curved top. I book matched the top two segments and slip matched the sides to make for easier planing. After glueing up I see that the grain match is very good. I had thought I may round the top but now I don't want to mess up the grain match. Here are some pics, cell phone so not great. What do you all think.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boy that's a tough call, looks good the way it sits, can you make another one with some less figured wood with a rounded top and save this one the way it is.

I would keep that one for me and finish the build to my own taste. Make nephew one of pine brightly painted with real pirate stuff. You are making a fine piece but nothing that is going to attract a baby's eye. When he is about three he will have long and fond memories of it; and hold onto it for his whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Boy that's a tough call, looks good the way it sits, can you make another one with some less figured wood with a rounded top and save this one the way it is.
    i couldn't decide myself. It is a special build. Made to last a lifetime. Not a toy box for him now.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I would keep that one for me and finish the build to my own taste. Make nephew one of pine brightly painted with real pirate stuff. You are making a fine piece but nothing that is going to attract a baby's eye. When he is about three he will have long and fond memories of it; and hold onto it for his whole life.
    It will be for him to hold a life's worth of treasures. If he needs a toy box I will build that too. I think Auntie will load him up with those things. This chest will hold those special things like sports medals or special coins, or straight A report cards.
    Jim

I understand , James. I guess I see the word treasure differently. But it oftens happens that a fine piece held "in trust" untill child is older become Mom's for a long time and child kinda loses the sense of the gift as a celebration of his birth.

I think regardless of the grain that the top is better "faceted' as it is than if you rounded it over- it has more visual interest than a half- cylinder. There are still enough grain differences between boards that the faceted appearance would also justify the grain changes. If you were going to do some metal (brass or steel) banding across the top, or long hinge straps, they would look good with the angled bends. The round top might look too much like a mailbox...

Just some thoughts from one who built his daughters treasure boxes, buried them in the yard, and had them go on a hunt to find them- with maps, weird clues they had to investigate, riddles, etc.. They are almost 30 now and still have their boxes on their dressers, with the kinds of things you've listed inside.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    I think regardless of the grain that the top is better "faceted' as it is than if you rounded it over- it has more visual interest than a half- cylinder. There are still enough grain differences between boards that the faceted appearance would also justify the grain changes. If you were going to do some metal (brass or steel) banding across the top, or long hinge straps, they would look good with the angled bends. The round top might look too much like a mailbox...

Just some thoughts from one who built his daughters treasure boxes, buried them in the yard, and had them go on a hunt to find them- with maps, weird clues they had to investigate, riddles, etc.. They are almost 30 now and still have their boxes on their dressers, with the kinds of things you've listed inside.
    Karl
    Thanks Karl. You make some very good points. Just what I was looking for.. I did notice where you are located also. Spent a good part of my life near there. It's Blue Crab season, hooray stuffed Rockfish, yummy.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Boy, you did a great job with getting that grain to match. Actually, I believe that if you decide to go with rounding it over, you will still have matched grain as long as you round it evenly. The two matching grains will be removed equal amounts and should still line up.

I am on the fence- I think it would look good either way. I would have leaned towards saying round it over had there not been pictures, but looking at the pics, it looks good faceted as well. Happy to have further confused you. :-)

May be that I can redeem myself here....Karl makes a good point about the facets. Facets will never appear to the untrained eye as rotary cut plywood. Don't let your good matching and joinery work against you.

Thanks Malcolm. The grain pitches about 30 degrees on the edge average so I think it may sawtooth it a bit more then it is now if I take an eighth or so at the joint. I think it would good either way too. No more confusion here than usual, I tend to always be in that state.
    Jim

No redemption necessary Mel. When you ask for an opinion you get them all and they are indeed helpful. Thanks for your input.
    Jim

The verdict is in! I squared the ends and cleaned it up a bit. It's less then 1/2 mm out in width over 16". I know better than to mess with it further and loose. I've had more than 1 piece go wonky when thinning the edges an 1/8" or so. The facets stay as is.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

good decision AND good work!!!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    good decision AND good work!!!!
    Thank you Jerry. Getting busy making the ends. These lids will go south unless buttoned up.
    Jim