Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on treasure chest

Blog Entries
    Nice work Jim, this is sure to be a really cool piece.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Nice work Jim, this is sure to be a really cool piece.
    Thank you Brian. We shall see how it comes out.
    Jim

I agree that the faceted look is nice. Did you spline the joints or just glue them up? I'm thinking no difference in strength, maybe just an easier glueup. Curious to see the ends. Also, what are the lid dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I agree that the faceted look is nice. Did you spline the joints or just glue them up? I'm thinking no difference in strength, maybe just an easier glueup. Curious to see the ends. Also, what are the lid dimensions?
    Thank you Pat. No splines just glued. Splines are a machine tool thing I feel. Working a plow plane at an angle is a really big chore. The glue up is easy, I made a fixture to hold it together. I'm working on the ends as I can. This lid is 16" L. X 10" W.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Thank you Pat. No splines just glued. Splines are a machine tool thing I feel. Working a plow plane at an angle is a really big chore. The glue up is easy, I made a fixture to hold it together. I'm working on the ends as I can. This lid is 16" L. X 10" W.
    Jim
    I'm curious about your fixture. Am envisioning the desired profile shape so you could reference off it for your clamping. Was that the way you did it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I'm curious about your fixture. Am envisioning the desired profile shape so you could reference off it for your clamping. Was that the way you did it?
    Pat here are a couple of pics of how I approach it. The fixture allows me to reference the inside. That makes it easier to clean up the inside and throws the error to the outside. It is far easier to plane the outside.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice James. I can see you put a lot of thought and effort into your jigs. That would certainly eliminate the issues with it alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    I think regardless of the grain that the top is better "faceted' as it is than if you rounded it over- it has more visual interest than a half- cylinder. There are still enough grain differences between boards that the faceted appearance would also justify the grain changes. If you were going to do some metal (brass or steel) banding across the top, or long hinge straps, they would look good with the angled bends. The round top might look too much like a mailbox...

Just some thoughts from one who built his daughters treasure boxes, buried them in the yard, and had them go on a hunt to find them- with maps, weird clues they had to investigate, riddles, etc.. They are almost 30 now and still have their boxes on their dressers, with the kinds of things you've listed inside.
    Karl
    THAT is waayyy beyond cool!
    James, the box is beautiful. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    THAT is waayyy beyond cool!
    James, the box is beautiful. Nice work!
    Thank you Mike. It's all fun to boot.
    Jim

It does look great - show it to us when you're done. And yes, the rockfish are still great (stuffed or not) but blue crabs cost more for a dozen than a whole bushel cost when I was in high school, so they're only an occasional treat.
    Karl

My church went fishing for rockfish in the Chesapeake last year. We had a great time, and I ate rockfish almost every day for about two weeks.
    18740652_1950618018297429_1947917525751864464_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    It does look great - show it to us when you're done. And yes, the rockfish are still great (stuffed or not) but blue crabs cost more for a dozen than a whole bushel cost when I was in high school, so they're only an occasional treat.
    Karl
    I haven't been able to go back for 5 years. I miss it a lot. My friend of 65 years still lives there. We have our secret place for "Chicken Neckin" for 40 years. Most every trip it's 3 or 4 dozen in about three hours. Good fun and good eating.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    My church went fishing for rockfish in the Chesapeake last year. We had a great time, and I ate rockfish almost every day for about two weeks.
    18740652_1950618018297429_1947917525751864464_n.jpg
    I like Rockfish (striper) the best of all. Fished many hours for them. Biggest for me was 40 lbs. Some people mount fish like that, you have to waste the best part of it if you do that, The eating part.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I like Rockfish (striper) the best of all. Fished many hours for them. Biggest for me was 40 lbs. Some people mount fish like that, you have to waste the best part of it if you do that, The eating part.
    Jim
    LOL, yep.
    The only fish I ever mounted was a large bass I caught in a pond around here. Will never do it again. It's beautiful, but every time I look at it I think how much better I could have spent the money. I prefer catching and eating.

L