Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling platforms for large lathes.

Blog Entries

Rolling platforms for large lathes.

I saw when I ordered my Grizzly 0766 that they sell platforms on wheels for their lathes. Are these suitable for actually operating the lathe on or are they just for repositioning them and to be removed once the lathe is in place.
    I'm in a situation where I've yet to buy a prebuilt worked shed, which I will air condition and my garage is far too hot to work in.
    It would be nice to roll it over to the overhead door and use a large fan behind me to blow the dust outside as well as provide me with some relief from the heat.
    If so, are the HF solid enough to substitute?

Thank you

I too have a G0766, which I've made mobile so I can turn outside in the shade, in nice weather. Way more pleasant, way easier to clean up!

The basic concept is a pair of 4x4's at each end of the lathe, which are hinged to the legs, and which have casters on the underside. One end has swiveling casters, the other has fixed. A heavy 2' steel lever is used to rotate the 4x4's and lift each end of the lathe, then it is locked into place for travel, using pivoting steel straps which hook onto screws. Roll it out (or in), and then use the lever again to release the locking straps, and set it down (gently) onto its feet. Here's a picture.

Screenshot 2017-07-19 at 7.29.43 AM.jpg

What you are seeing is the end of the 4x4, with hinge on top, and the end of a 1-by plate (holding the other side of the hinge), which is bolted to the bottom of the lathe leg. Both are flush to the bottom of the lathe leg. The hinge is shown at 90 degrees, which means the casters are all the way down, lifting the lathe. The 4x4 is locked to the plate with a pivoting steel strap, which catches the screw with a hook-shaped cut in the edge of the strap. Below the 4x4 you can see one of the casters, and below the lathe leg you can see one of the hard rubber feet.

What you can't see here is the lever-hole in the 4x4. It is centered between the ends, and parallel with the lathe spindle, when lifted like this. I drilled through the 4x4, and then pounded in a pipe nipple to line that hole, so that the stress of the lever (which is considerable) is not applied directly to the wood of the 4x4.

The lever is a piece of heavy round steel bar, about 2' long, which I found at Home Depot in the concrete rebar area. No idea what it actually is used for, in concrete work, but it makes a hell of a lever. Two feet is about what you need, to make this lift.

So, how it works: put the lever into the lever hole at one end, push down (uuhhhnn!), reach around to each end and lock the pivoting steel strap onto the screw. Repeat at the other end. Move the lathe. Use the lever again, to unlock the steel straps, and let it down gently onto its feet. Ready to turn.

Ways to improve on what I did:

(1) Put the swiveling casters (the end you steer with) under the tailstock, because it is lighter, easier to steer. I did the opposite, because I didn't know better.

(2) The screw that the pivoting steel strap catches, to hold the 4x4 down while moving, should probably be placed into the cast iron leg, instead of the 1-by plate, using a bolt and nut arrangement. Otherwise, it could tear up the plate, under stress. I've had that happen on one of the four lock screws.

I have a "machinery mover" on my Vega. You can look on the Vega site to see its specs. It's much like Robert's idea. The lathe sits flat when it's not being moved. A handle levers it up on two wheels - there are wheels on the lever itself - for moving it. When the lever is lowered, the wheels don't come into the picture.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

craft supply sell one that I put on my G0766 and it works great https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...obility-System

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your responses.
    I think diy is the way to go for me after seeing the price of the unit you posted, Keith, though I'm sure it works well.

The East Texas Woodturners Club has a Jet 1642 mounted on a rolling base. We meet at a local college and the lathe is stored in a store room a couple of hundred feet from the room we meet in, it works very well. It was there when I joined the club several years ago but someone may have the plans. Look them up on the web and there is contact info if anyone knows where the plans are I am sure they would share them with you.

i use adjustable casters from McMaster Carr, rubber pads take the weight off the wheels preventing flat spots on the wheels and absorb vibrations to keep lathe on the floor.
    worth the money? to me, yes
    do i have to bend over to adjust the pads, yes. at 66 bending and stooping is good for me

i use leveling casters from McMaster Carr each caster max weight of 300 lbs thumb wheel adjusts the rubber feet taking the load off the wheels (preventing flat spots)IMG_3624.jpg

https://www.jettoolstore.com/product...0aAg_7EALw_wcB

I bought one of these and made a 4' x4' work table on top of it. Since it goes up and down, I use it as a table to sit at to assemble segmented turning rings. I can get the height any where I need it. I also use it for an out feed table on the table saw and band saw while ripping. It will also go under the Powermatic 4224 and will lift it off the ground to reposition it in the shop. This is the most versatile piece of equipment I have in the shop. If I ever need to remove a leg of the lathe for disassemble, it will do that. The lathe weights 900.bs and the lift on this table is 1650. Cost more that a set of wheels, but it will do more. Good luck.

I used carrymaster casters please see link

http://www.mjvail.com/carrymaster.htm

Further you need to consider what load bearing capacity you need and note the capacity for moving is half the static capacity of the casters

Also you may find the best price on e bay

regards Brian

Blog Entries
    Lots of ideas to think about. Thanks guys.
    Gregory, I'd never thought of lifting at the bed. Great idea and a very handy piece to have around.

I also use leveling casters. The drawback for me is that it's not the easiest thing for me to get down on the floor to turn the sprockets that extends the casters.

So it depends on your spryness and how often you want to move the lathe.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I also use leveling casters. The drawback for me is that it's not the easiest thing for me to get down on the floor to turn the sprockets that extends the casters.

So it depends on your spryness and how often you want to move the lathe.
    +1

Plus it raises the lathe 2"-3" (which I don't need).
    I always forget which way to turn the leveler wheel.

Mike

Blog Entries
    While searching for a good corded chainsaw today (have a variety of big box stores), I decided to pick up some furniture moving disks just for the heck of it. Haven't decided yet which way to go for a permanent way of moving my lathe.
    I put one under all 4 legs and could easily slide my lathe over to the overhead door of my garage, about 15' away. What a thrill to be able to turn again.
    I placed a 30" pedistal fan directly behind me and went to work. No dust, nice cool breeze coming in from the walk-in door in back.
    I really was amazed at how easily I could move it around, and my garage floor is in bad shape.
    Will they hold up? Probably not. But they worked tonight.

Keith ... which mobility model works for a G0766? I am looking for one to fit mine.