Thread: Found a pretty nice vise for my bench!

Found a pretty nice vise for my bench!

Hi, guys!
    I was at the local flea market this past weekend, and found this face vise for a very decent price. Could not resist grabbing it.
    100_3616.jpg
    Since my bench is made from SPF(spruce, pine, fir) I will need some hardwood for the rear jaw. I'm thinking some Home Depot maple or some red oak should do the trick. Front jaw is obviously maple.
    I also picked up a 1" vintage Marples chisel, which took a really keen edge. The other chisel is a 1/2" Stanley 750 I picked up at an antique dealer today. Haven't had the chance to hone that one yet.
    100_3617.jpg
    100_3618.jpg
    Now I just need to finish the bench.

Nice finds! Decent vises for little money are hard to come by. I'm in the same boat as you--found a decent vise for a price I couldn't deny and have to make a bench for it to go onto now! Good problem to have.

Sure is!
    I had given up being able to afford a decent vise, so when I saw this one I could not let it slip by.
    Glad you found yours as well.
    There are tons of bench builds here and on Youtube to watch and learn from. In the end, since it's my first bench, I just settled for a simple 4 legs and a top. That and this vise should serve me well until I can get enough experience to really know what I want or need bench-wise.

Mike,
    Great score, especially the vice I had looked for all most a year and then 2 popped up and I took both home the Columbian is installed inside and I'll install the Abernathy outside when I build a proper bench.
    On all my outings I look for chisels but they are few and far between I've only found 3 odd ones but 2 full sets of the Marples 1 set never used the other just the 1'' was used.
    I also have a set of the Marples that I bought new in the mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Mike,
    Great score, especially the vice I had looked for all most a year and then 2 popped up and I took both home the Columbian is installed inside and I'll install the Abernathy outside when I build a proper bench.
    On all my outings I look for chisels but they are few and far between I've only found 3 odd ones but 2 full sets of the Marples 1 set never used the other just the 1'' was used.
    I also have a set of the Marples that I bought new in the mid 80's.
    Thanks, Rick. There was a really nice End Vice with wooden screws for $25, but my bench is going to be an outdoor bench, so I was worried the wooden screws would not last. Plus, my bench is only 19 & 1/4" deep, and I think that vise was made for a much deeper bench. This vice mounts underneath the bench, so it should be protected somewhat. I'll grease it up before I mount it, and it should be good to go.
    As for the Marples chisel, I'd love to find a set of them, as I can afford them. I really like the way the chisel is shaped; at least the ones like the older one I have. The lands or bevels thin out really nicely toward the cutting edge, and the chisel is fairly robust for it's size. I would love at least 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 inch. They are difficult to find around here. Mostly you find junk chisels.
    But I have time; my bench is not even finished yet. I will find one here, one there, and it won't be very long, I think.

Great find on the vise Mike, looks like one of the Lee Valley front vises. Also, that stanley 750 is a great find, and a good size too - my 1/2" chisels are some of my most used.

Hasin, yes, the gentleman who I bought it from said that is where he purchased it.
    And 1/2 and 3/4 are my most used chisels as well. I will buy every 1/2" chisel of good make and decent price I can find,

Nice find!!!!
    Jerry

Thanks, Jerry.

I can make any kind of vise I might want,and made the tail vise for my own bench. But,I have found my Taiwan copy of a Record vise to be perfectly adequate,really. It has the Record type quick release lever near the handle. Didn't cost a fortune.

Your vise looks like it was removed from a European work bench. The jaw on it is probably quite adequate. You only need a jaw against the bench,unless the jaw on the vise is all dented and messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I can make any kind of vise I might want,and made the tail vise for my own bench. But,I have found my Taiwan copy of a Record vise to be perfectly adequate,really. It has the Record type quick release lever near the handle. Didn't cost a fortune.

Your vise looks like it was removed from a European work bench. The jaw on it is probably quite adequate. You only need a jaw against the bench,unless the jaw on the vise is all dented and messed up.
    George, that is called skills, which I ain't got none yet, lol.

Takes machine tools too. Which I have. But,unless I wanted to make a vise just for aesthetic reasons,it's adequate to buy one. I did build my tail vise just to do it up nice.